Sure Beats Talking to Myself

RobertoMeet Roberto …he’s “hot stuff!”

Roberto is my new space heater. I carry him back and forth from my bathroom to my office regularly. He keeps me warm during these crazy cold Florida days we’ve been having lately.

Many of you who have been digging yourself out of snow are probably laughing at my audaciousness of calling Florida’s winter COLD. Nevertheless, I am a Florida native; I can take the heat, but not the cold:~)

So, Roberto is my best friend right now and I enjoy talking to him.

I don’t just talk to myself

I talk to objects quite a bit. I don’t know whether I talk to them because I just enjoy talking to them, or this is my way of justifying how I talk to myself. Then again, this is likely to be the proverbial “chicken and egg” scenario.

Some people believe that if you talk to yourself you might be just a wee bit crazy. Go figure. This creates a dilemma for those of us who have a need to hear our own voices; mind you, the emphasis is on “our own” as opposed to “plural”.

We need to explain our behavior so we won’t be dragged off in a straitjacket. My answer is to humanize objects. I also talk to the dog, the cat and my birds; that’s normal talk, right?

Creating characters is creative fun

My crazy talk happens during those times I carry on conversations with normal everyday objects; the space heater, the toaster, the microwave and numerous other inanimate objects that live in my house.

JC often laughs about the fact that I create characters in objects. However, as his home office is next to mine, his laughter turns into a stern reminder that “silence is golden” when I’m having a conversation with one of my object friends, like Roberto.

To tell the truth, I like that I talk to objects and make them into characters. I don’t think this is crazy, but rather a way for me to play with my creativity.

As children, we often believed we could talk to our dolls, stuffed animals and other toys. They comforted us and let us do something adults often forget; to PRETEND and PLAY. I know Roberto is not a real person, but I have fun playing like he is.

What about you?

Do you talk to objects around your house or see faces in things?

How do you play with your creativity?

What gets your creative juices flowing?

P.S. I want to thank Patty of Why Not Start Now? for triggering my thoughts about how I “play” in her wonderful post about the importance of play.

39 comments on “Sure Beats Talking to Myself

1. talon says:

Roberto is hot! 🙂

I talk to my animals a lot. I don’t talk to objects, but I do assign characteristics to them. I do see faces in things, too. It’s hard not to when they’re right there in front of you! 😉

If that makes me crazy? I’m okay with that. And I know I’m in good company! 🙂
    .-= talon´s last blog ..Detached… =-.

@ talon — I agree about seeing faces in things. You can look at a rug and suddenly there’s the face…it’s kind of fun. Yes, we are both in good company:~)

2. Sara, I’m laughing out loud! I talk to myself and to objects and the garden and cats, and to anything at all, really. I tend to anthropomorphize just about everything. Thoughts and ideas too. I even ask my clients to have conversations with their values. And, I like to read out loud as I write (yes, I’m doing it now).

It’s wonderful to know you are a kindred spirit. I wonder, is this a female thing? Dave often points it out to me (and I think finds it a little charming).

Wonderfully written post. I love how you look at this through the lens of play and creativity. And thanks for the link love!
    .-= Patty – Why Not Start Now?´s last blog ..Does the Truth Hurt? =-.

@ Patty –I remember when I considered being a life coach and I was encouraged to have conversations with my gremlins…now that was a lot of fun!!! I had one gremlin who dressed in leather and chains with Goth makeup and hair…she was, of course, my REBEL. We had some very interesting conversations:~)

Odd…I also read aloud what I write and I’m doing it right now. It makes me feel like I conversing with you, in this case, or with my readers when I’m preparing a post. I used to drive co-workers CRAZY because I talked to my computer.

Well, kiddo…you helped me see this “behavior” as a form of play and creativity!

3. Tell JC to keep HIS voice down…he’ll hurt Roberto’s feelings!

I think it is nothin’ but charmin’ that you talk to all and sundry. I talk to my dog a lot. He gets told he is smart, handsome, good, loyal, brave and wonderful about 500 times a day. He never disagrees, so I must be right!

Keep talking, girl. It’s a good thing. 😉
    .-= Fireblossom32´s last blog ..The Monster Of Birmingham’s Last Words =-.

@ Roberto — Oh, Roberto is a tough guy and he knows that JC is all bluff. I think JC secretly likes that fact I talk to objects. It helps him believe he’s more SANE than I am. Roberto and I know the truth, however, as we’ve seen JC talking to his golf clubs:~)

I also talk to the dog and the cat. I thought everyone did:~)

4. I do a lot of public speaking. I’m good at it, but it’s only because I practice a lot. This has led to me talking to myself non-stop, all the time, usually after forgetting where I am. I have put my mirror, toothbrush, and furniture through some rigorous cross-examinations in preparation for school assemblies:)

I thought Roberto was a boom box for a minute.
    .-= Josh Hanagarne´s last blog ..How To Be As Confident As This Pig =-.

@ Josh — I also used to do public speaking, but I wasn’t very good at it. I had to basically memorize my speech and if I messed up, well….you can imagine:~) I love what you said about putting your mirror, toothbrush and furniture through cross-examinations. I’ve been known to bat around ideas with this lovely old couch in my office:~)

I can see how you might think Roberto is a boom box from the way I took his picture. I wanted to try to capture Roberto’s face. When I look at the picture, I see Roberto’s two eyes, his nose (well two dots) and a red line for his mouth.

By the way, I will be visiting…the name of your post is very intriguing…I want to learn how to be as confident as a pig:~)

5. Caity says:

Oh, good! I am not crazy! Hehe.

I definitely talk to things. I talk to food when I’m cooking, I talk to my cat, and I talk to other things – most often when I’m creating things or trying to do a chore.

@ Caity — It’s nice to know that I have such esteemed company:~) Animals are so much fun to talk to…I always remember Farside cartoon about what a dog hears when a person talks. Basically, it’s “blah, blah, blah, blah, Ginger, blah, blah, blah. blah”…etc. I imagine a cat is similar except most cats wouldn’t stay around for the second “blah, blah, blah, blah” :~)

Hi Sara — I can definitely relate — although usually I don’t even bother to use an object as an excuse. I sometimes talk to myself to try to organize my thoughts as I’m doing a project, but most of the time it’s not as useful to me as silence.

@ Chris — I say, go with whatever works best:~) That being said, I do notice that my talking aloud causes me to make more written mistakes, like leaving out words. I have laughed many times when I’ve gone back to someone’s site and seen a comment I wrote.

I guess by talking aloud, not every every word I use makes it’s to my fingers on the keyboard:~) So, I have to really remind myself to review my replies (or my comments on other sites).

7. Davina says:

I’d like to echo Caity’s comment 🙂 I talk to anything and everything… even food, when I’m preparing it. But mostly I just talk to myself… and I answer back too. I can see a face in this heater, you know… and red lips too. Roberto *is* hot!
    .-= Davina´s last blog ..Life Coach for the Knobs =-.

@ Davina — Again, I feel greatly relieved to know I’m in such good company. I did find this funny site about the 101 Greatest Questions of all Time. One them was “Is talking to yourself a sign of madness?” The answer was “No. The phenomenon known as “private speech”, in which people talk aloud to themselves when stressed or alone, is perfectly normal.”

I like the idea of “private speech.” I couldn’t find anything relevant to “talking to objects” however. Perhaps that study has yet to be done:~)

8. Sara, I don’t know if you do awards on this blog, but there is one waiting for you at Word Garden. 😉

PS–you are allowed to talk to the award lol.
    .-= Fireblossom32´s last blog ..The Monster Of Birmingham’s Last Words =-.

@ Fireblossom32 — WOW…I love awards:~) I will definitely be visiting Word Garden! I am so pleased that I can talk to the award. I can’t wait to meet it:~)

9. Dot says:

Me too. After my two dogs passed away, I still talked to them, and I talk to myself and answer, and I talk to trees and objects ni the house. I used to talk to my Roomba before it broke.

@ Dot — Talking to a Roomba would be lots of fun:~) You could eveen get your exercise while talking…just watch out for those chair corners:~)

I think it’s healthy to talk to yourself and even other things. Also, evidently, it’s more common for women to talk to themselves AND answer themselves, than it is for men. There’s a whole bunch of scientific reasons this is supposed to be the case, but I won’t go into them here:~)

Hi Sara! Cute post – love your friend! It should come to no surprise to you that I have always been considered the “crazy” one in our family. Talk to things? Hell yes! I name everything too – my plants especially, who I address by name and talk to as I water them, or prune them, or even walk by them. My garbage disposal is “Goober” – we chat only briefly though. Oh yes, my house is filled with conversational opportunity! Tell Roberto I said Hi!
    hugs
    suZen
    .-= suzen´s last blog ..Discoveries in Being Hip – It’s CODE =-.

@ suZen — I knew there was a reason I like you so much:~) We “crazy” ones stick together…well, maybe I should change that to “We PLAYFUL ones stick together!” I love the name of your garbage disposal. Goober is fun to say.

Roberto sends you his WARM regards:~)

11. JC says:

I think you talk to all the other objects so I don’t realize how much you care for Roberto! Even though on some cold Florida mornings I think he’s hot also.

12. I am one who tends to talk to all the people in my head. Or Blue Bunny. Objects, not so much. I did have a basketball once, named Wilson. We wuz buds, until I finally escaped that deserted island and he ran off with a net named Nanette. 🙂

xo

@ Jannie — I needed to read your comment today because I needed a laugh. My site was down for a little while, right at the time I was getting a new post ready…so thanks. I hope that Wilson and Nanette are doing well:~)

13. Evelyn Lim says:

Hi there Roberto, nice to meet you for the first time 🙂 You look like a person, you know! With two knobs as eyes and a tiny “mouth”. So what has Sara been talking to you about? (Response)

Oh yes, she can be crazy, sometimes! Cute too with her shades! But don’t we all love her for who she is??

Oops…gotta go! Chat with you again some other time! Will you still be here the next time I visit?

Love,
    Evelyn
    .-= Evelyn Lim´s last blog ..Universal Studios Singapore Pictures for Vision Board =-.

@ Evelyn — I loved the dialogue:~) Most of time Roberto just tells me to give him a break…he’s gets tired of being “hot stuff” all the time:~)

@ Evelyn — So, you caught his face…isn’t he adorable when you see his face. Not only that, he can change expressions if I adjust his heat settings. The one with the highest setting makes him look slightly angry:~) Roberto says that he appreciates very much that you like Sara for who she is…even if she’s a bit batty:~)

Hi Sara .. excellent to meet Roberto – lovely ring to his name – glad he’s small enough to port around between cold places. Actually I feel some understanding – no-one could understand that Johannesburg is bitterly cold in winter .. freezing positively – the grass would turn brown .. burnt by the frost! The houses were not geared for it – so I too had a Roberto!

I see one our sled ladies calls her tea tray “Arthur” .. so someone at the pinnacle of their sport will support you as you dance around with hot air puffing out from Roberto .. there has to be a poem there somewhere ..

I haven’t someone I talk to .. though Mum constantly talks to Hardwick – her brain is going at a 100 mph – amazing tales we’ve had .. it’s good – he’s a great comfort – see him 22nd Dec. Yes – talking to your dog, cat and birds is quite normal – rest assured!

Creativity is now through my reading, mulling ideas over in my head – I do that a lot .. but don’t talk out loud – I could do .. no-one around .. great post and fun – thanks .. I’ll think about my space heater now!!
    .-= Hilary´s last blog ..February – the half-way month .. =-.

@ Hilary — It’s true that people don’t realize that many of the places associated with “warmth” and “sunshine” do get cold in the winter AND like you said, it’s felt more so because we aren’t prepared. I loved the story of the sled lady and Arthur. Be relieved that you do not talk aloud…it’s a habit that has a downside, especially if you talk ALOUD in public, like I do sometimes. For example, I’ll talk to myself at the grocery store and look up to see some kids pointing at me and saying, “Look Mom…there’s a crazy lady.”:~)

Hi Sara – just remembered – when I was 3 and staying with ‘an aunt’ with her niece, also three, – we were told to say hello to the oven in the morning – his name was Sydney .. Jane did as she was told – I refused, and point blank refused .. Aunty Joan remembers to this day – 60 years ago!! near enough .. I was a lawyer’s daughter .. they don’t talk to ovens!! Love H
    .-= Hilary´s last blog ..February – the half-way month .. =-.

@ Hilary — I can imagine that lawyer’s daughters might NOT talk to ovens…if they are wise. I’m sure your father would not have been fond of that:~)

Oddly, I don’t remember talking to objects as a kid. I must have, but I have no memory of it. Then again I lived with so many different kinds of animals — rescued birds, mice, dogs, cats, goldfish, horses…etc…that maybe I didn’t need to talk to objects:~)

16. Hi Sara,

Thank you for introducing us to Roberto. Great name! You’re right. He’s “hot”.

Although I don’t talk to objects, I talk to myself and answer too. Whenever someone catches me and gives me that “look” and asks if I’m talking to myself, I just say, “Yes, I found someone to have an intelligent conversation with.” 🙂
    .-= Barbara Swafford´s last blog ..Say It Ain’t So =-.

@ Barbara — LOL …your reply is the best one yet. I love it and will make good use of it the next time someone stares at me when I’m talking to myself. Thanks very much for the laugh, today….I needed it:~)

17. Tony Single says:

Sara, I laughed so hard when I read this!

Then I remembered that I often talk to myself and God. I stopped laughing. I am booking a room with rubber walls as soon as I finish typing this. 🙁

Creatively speaking, me and Cass will often talk to each other in rhyme, trying to keep the conversation going like that for as long as possible. We will try to trip each other up by using increasingly obscure words that we hope rhyme with very little. It’s amazing how well you step up to the plate when you’re challenged like that! 😛

We’ll even push each other’s noses like they’re buttons, and add a stupid sound effect like an electronic beep, a cow mooing, a duck farting, etc. Yup, we’re unbelievably stupid when we play, and it’s hella fun! 😛
    .-= Tony Single´s last blog ..Do Over =-.

@ Tony — Wow. Talking in rhyme must be a challenge, unless you cheat and invent words. I like the pushing of noses and making sounds. I’ll have to try that with JC and see what he does:~)

18. Ha ha! Glad to know I’m not the only one. When I’m alone, I often mutter to myself. Can’t just keep all those thoughts inside. They’re going to come out so when there’s no one to listen and respond, who says we can’t still talk?

19. Oh I talk. To myself, to things, to other people (who aren’t even there — haha.) I work out thoughts by talking about them, or writing about them. I guess I’d be embarrassed if anyone knew. (Yet here I am, spouting off. Thanks for starting it and giving us permission. 🙂 )

I also talk in the car. I used to pause if I passed someone, but now, with phone technology such as it is, I just keep talking and let the other guy think I’m on the phone.

I love your little DeLonghi. I even love his name. What a cutie.
    .-= Barb Hartsook´s last blog ..Do Sports Teach Kids How to Live Life Beyond the Game? =-.

@ Barb — You definitely have my permission to talk to yourself and answer yourself…I figure the more of us there are, the better!!!

LOL about the car and the phone. I do the same thing. I even touch my ear sometimes so they’ll think I’m adjusting my earphone…silly me:~)

Thanks about Roberto. He’s keeping me company today along with my co-workers who are being extremely lazy. Then again they are a dog and a cat…so what I can expect?

20. gdk3 says:

I talk to the cat ,dog and plants. Then I go to Jannie Funster’s blog and it never fails to inspire.But then again talking to oneself is like talking to inanimate objects is it not. In my mind I hear the objects talking back to me with encouragement to start my own blog.