A Poem for Love

photo by aryos

before
he carved out the universe and its never-ending galaxies,
spinning and still.

before
he made the eternal paradox,
dark and light

before
he began to create his masterpiece,
perfect and flawed

he stopped.
and looked at all the pieces around him,
complete and unfinished

he breathed
and his heart opened, giving birth to the first emotion, love,
full and ripe

he sighed
as love planted itself deep in his creation,
infinite and perpetuating.

poetry by sara b. healy

Note: This is an older poem of mine. Forgive the gender preference as a poem doesn’t read so well with the pronouns “she/he” or “it.” I am a believer that whatever higher power exists, it does not need a gender affiliation:~)

35 comments on “A Poem for Love

Nice poem, and the picture matches perfectly. It reminds us that love is everywhere. All we have to do is look.

I’ve written some poetry, too. Mostly in my late teens and 20s. I still write occasionally when the spirit moves me.

I hope your dog is feeling better!

@ Linda — I’d love to read some of your poetry. I hope you will consider putting some of your own writings up at your site:~)

p.s. Thanks for your concern about my dog. She is better:~)

2. talon says:

Beautiful imagery tucked inside the gift of life and love. Absolutely lovely, Sara. And you found the perfect photograph to accompany it.

I hope that Ms. Dix is feeling much better.
    .-= talon´s last blog ..Good things… =-.

@ talon — Thank you for your kind words. While caring for my dog, I spent time reviewing some older writings and found this one. It sort of seemed right…a good reminder to me about the importance of love.

p.s. I’m pleased to say that Ms. Dix is doing just great:~)

3. Beautiful, Sara. Stop. Breathe. Sigh. Good things for all of us to remember, no matter what gender. Thanks!
    .-= Patty – Why Not Start Now?´s last blog ..Life as a Work of Art =-.

4. Wilma Ham says:

Love cannot be loved enough. Love understands all and embraces all and your poem illustrates that beautifully. xox Wilma
    .-= Wilma Ham´s last blog ..Wilma on Accountability and safety =-.

Hi Sara .. love is certainly all around us .. it could just be a little deeper and a little more around us all everywhere .. I’m sure it will be .. love the picture and your poem .. thanks Hilary
    .-= Hilary´s last blog ..Steak, Kidney and Oyster Pudding with a Stout Porter? =-.

@ Hilary — Thank you and perhaps love will be deeper and more around us all. Certainly, we might feel it a bit more with a few Stout Porters? I always appreciate your comments, Hilary:~)

6. Tony Single says:

Sara, there are folks here who have excellent taste in poetry. 🙂

I love this poem for reasons you can probably guess. Gender preference or no, it’s still a beautiful piece that inspires me to write more poetry myself. Perhaps I’ll have to start sharing some again at Trottersville. Thanks for the inspiration!

Oh, and for the record, my favourite lines:

“he breathed
    and his heart opened, giving birth to the first emotion, love,
    full and ripe”

Say hello to Ms. Dix for me. 🙂
    .-= Tony Single´s last blog ..Empty Balloons =-.

@ Tony — I’d love to read your poetry!!! I love it when people express themselves in different ways:~) You picked my favorite line of this poem…it is the heart of the poem:~)

I also want to say that I had so much fun at your latest post, Empty Balloons!

Hi Sara! How AWEsome! You are indeed a woman of many talents! With each breath we take, may we all exhale love!

Hugs,
    suZen
    .-= suzen´s last blog ..The 100 Year Diet, Economy & Good Eating Tips =-.

@ SuZen — Back at you, my dear, regarding the talents. I have greatly enjoyed your latest posts about eating more healthy. I’ve read lots of posts talking about the benefits of healthy eating, but you are so energetic about it that it makes me want to give your suggestions a try (and I have been making little changes). Thank you!!!

So, continue to exhale your love, my friend:~)

8. Caity says:

Lovely poem! So much emotion and feeling. My favorite type of poem.
    .-= Caity´s last blog ..Ask Caity! =-.

9. Keith Davis says:

Hi Sara
    Super poem.
    “perfect and flawed” what a great description of love and life.
    So many perfect moments and so many losses and disappointments.
    Your poem makes me feel happy and sad, optimistic and pessimistic and all at the same time.
    .-= Keith Davis´s last blog ..A helping hand… =-.

@ Keith — The dualities of life — we can’t have one without the other. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this poem:~)

10. I have heard rumors about this love stuff. Perhaps it even exists.

It’s a lovely poem, Sara. I enjoyed reading it.
    .-= Fireblossom32´s last blog ..Tutorial, Part Two =-.

@ Shay — I will not miss you this time!!!! Such kind words from the person I consider a poet master:~) I loved Tutorial Part Two about the dark bird. It is so much fun to read aloud in a deep voice poignant with danger!!!

I won’t report you to the Modern Language Association. Thanks for this — it definitely resonated with the thinking I’ve been doing about the two levels on which I exist — the complete and the unfinished, like you aptly put it.

12. Davina says:

Oooooh…. I love this Sara! Spinning & still, dark & light, perfect & flawed, etc. Greatness here 😀 And I don’t even know why… it’s poignant and filling soul food…

@ Davina — This one was always one of my favorites. I love what you said…”it’s poignant and filling soul food…” While I can’t cook, at least I can fill someone up with words:~)

13. Serena says:

A beautiful poem and image, Sara!
    .-= Serena´s last blog ..MONDAY PHOTO GROUP – Changing Seasons =-.

14. Ooo, chills! I love the image of him (or her, or it,) 🙂 looking at all the unfinished pieces around.

I am always wondering at our earlier creator, even with no beginning and no end, I would like to imagine myself there with him too on those special days of creating, and realizing. It does boggle the mind!

xo

15. Thanks for this and gender stuff doesn’t bother me because we are all one. Your piece is timeless. xo Tess
    .-= Tess The Bold Life´s last blog ..Life Is Good, Don’t Miss It =-.

16. Gorgeous words!
    I love that you could put the stanzas in any order and still be breathtaking.

@ Ji — I appreciate the invite very much, but I think I might have missed the deadline. Are you doing one for April? I’ll check in with your site and see who the March poet was as I love to read poetry:~)