Story Photo: Fall Season

I am ready for FALL. I’m weary of the hot and humid weather we still have where I live.

Fall Memories

I want clear crisp skies and chilly mornings where my breath makes its own steam.
I want to sit out on my screened porch in a sweater without the fan on full blast.
I want to see the leaves put on their fall colors of canary yellow and rust red.
I want to take a walk and not return with my hair plastered to my face from humidity.
I want to WANT a nice cup of hot chocolate.
I want to see the Golden Finches return to my bird feeder.
I want to open up my house and not immediately have the air conditioner click on.
I want fall…not winter. I’m not ready for winter, yet.
But fall would be nice:~)

What about you?

When you look at this picture, what memories does it trigger in you about fall?

What’s your favorite fall activity?

What’s the first sign that’s fall has arrived for you?

40 comments on “Story Photo: Fall Season

That’s a pretty picture. On the upside, fall brings milder temperatures, beautiful sunny days, changing leaves, and the smell of changing seasons. I like walks in the mountains, picnics and the unique patterns of the late afternoon sun on the trees. I think of the Fair, which always comes around the first of October. The Fair and fall go hand in hand, the colors, the cool nights, the food.

The downside is all the leaf blowing and raking. Actually, I don’t mind it all that much.

@ Linda — That’s true about fairs…they do seem to come about in the fall. We also have big October events, especially close to Halloween.

I agree with you about the patterns created by late afternoon sun in the trees. I always fascinated by evening light. It’s frustrating to me that even at 8:00pm EST where I’m at, it’s still really bright and HOT outside. I also wouldn’t mind a mountain walk…we have what might loosely be called “hills” here. I loved it when we visited Switzerland and got to see REAL mountains:~)

I don’t have to do a lot of leaf raking at my current house, which is not the one in the picture…thank goodness because they do have to rake:~)

Thanks for visit and sharing your thoughts about fall.

Hi Sara — to me it looks like a New England college campus, like the one I lived on, gosh, more than ten years ago. Of course, on a campus, probably the groundskeeper would clean up all the leaves, but looking at this picture I wonder if it would be better if he just let them lie around.

@ Chris — I thought the same thing about this picture…it looked like New England, even though it’s Florida (hard to believe, right?)

As I said to Linda, this is my house and so, I don’t have to worry about the leaves. AND I agree, they do look nice on the ground like this. It kind of makes me want to shuffle my feet through them:~)

Thanks for visit and your comment:~)

The satisfying rustle of leaves when I walk through them. Fall festivals, fires in the fireplace. The first sign of fall is getting rid of sandals* and pulling on boots.

* It’s still sandal weather in North Georgia (no white ones though!) 🙂

@ Lynn — It’s funny that I remember someone in the blogosphere writing a spring post and saying the opposite…putting away the boots, painting the toenails and adding the new sandals. Life is like this…as we reach the end of a season, we’re ready for the next.

Okay…is clay the reason white sandals are not the “thing” or is the rain? BTW I love the title of your post showing up today, “magic, neighbors and empty.” LOL I will definitely be by for a visit:~)

4. I love fall – but then again, I think I love all the seasons. My favorite Fall memories are all centered around my daughter (shocking, I know). But she delights in Fall. I grew up with pine trees and their needles; she is on the East coast where Fall is about the leaves and their colors and the piles that are made for kids of all ages. Thus, the picture reminds me of the weekends we have spent dancing and playing in the leaves.
    Fall is nature’s last show of brilliance before slumber and renewal – I love it.
    I love Falls’ crisp nights and mornings – the perfect weather for windows open and sleeping beanth the quilts with a cat or two. I love reading, the sound of the wind, and noticing the changes that appear daily.

@ TE — One of the reasons I live in North Florida is that we get the seasons. Like you and your daughter, I also remember the times when my kids were younger and we played in the leaves. There’s something magical about raking a pile of leaves and then jumping it and tossing them into the air. Thanks for this memory!!!

BTW I loved your post, She is the Woman Also Known as Hope. If any one is reading this comment, stop by and check out TE’s excellent post:~)

5. Hi Sara – I’m so ready for fall too, even though we’ve had a remarkably mild summer. One of things I love best about fall is going to the Coast. In Northern California summer at the beach is often a foggy, cold affair, but fall, ahhhhhhh, beautiful blue skies, temperate, less wind. I’ve got a few trips planned this month. I also love fall gardening, one of the best times to plant. And let’s see – Apple Hill in the Foothills, opening the windows wide, long walks, trees exploding with color. OK, I’ll stop now. Beautiful photo, by the way.

@ Patty — Thanks about the photo. While I’ve never visited California, I have heard from people who have and they also say it can be lovely in the fall. I can just imagine driving on a coastal road with clear blue skies or being at the beach when it’s actually easy to sit outside…ah, that sounds nice.

While not a gardener myself, I have a friend who is like you and anticipates fall. Then again, part of that is a comfort issue. It’s hard to garden where I live in summer…the best you say is that your perspiration may help water the plants:~)

I’m so pleased that you are back!

6. Oh, dear Sara, this post so speaks to my soul and what I long for these days too. Alas, fall temps and joy must be only in my mind and imagination these days.

That photo makes me want to run and yell and jump and laugh!

Thanks for the little autumn dream respite today.

xoxox

@ Jannie — You are so welcome. I forget that you live where fall doesn’t announce itself. That was it was like for me growing up in central Florida.

Well, you may have a colorful fall, but I’m sure you will find a way to” run, yell and jump and laugh” It’s just in your nature:~)

The first thing that came to mind were the fallen leaves. We used to step on and play in them in parks when we were kids in Taiwan. Here in California the seasons aren’t as distinct.

The second thing that came to mind was Victor Borge’s Autumn Leaves routine.

@ Kelvin — The first thing I did was watch the video and I laughed and laughed. I had forgotten how funny Victor Borge was. I loved the ending, but I’m not going to tell more.

READERS…if you peruse the comments and get to this one. PLEASE CLICK ON THE VIDEO. It’s well worth your time.

Thanks, Kelvin for sharing this:~)

8. When you look at this picture, what memories does it trigger in you about fall?
    chunky boots, tights, warm skirts and coats and the crisp sounds of crackling leaves underfoot

What’s your favorite fall activity?
    admiring the foliage
    hugging pumpkins
    watching kids in their Halloween costumes
    falling back one hour for more time to linger in bed

What’s the first sign that’s fall has arrived for you?
    When I see orange leaves

@ Belinda — I love all your examples, but my favorite is the “crisp sounds of crackling leaves underfoot.”

It’s nice that hug pumpkins. I sort past the age of making jack ‘o lanterns, but we have church down the street that has an annual pumpkin festival and sale. I love sitting at the light watching the kids run around and yes, many of them hug the pumpkins, just like you.

My dogwood trees are the best for orange-red leaves. They are magnificent when they don their fall colors. Even the woods, you can pick them out because they have so much color.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about fall…I’m already feeling better in my imagination:~)

9. Patricia says:

Sara,
    I think I can safely say that we never had a summer – well maybe 4-6 hot days – we are going from spring to fall right now….I just put away all my hot weather clothing this morning…and we put the comforter back on the bed this weekend. The sun came out late this afternoon at about 68′ and my corduroy shirt now feels a bit warm, but not for long….I was sad that the 2 new blouses I bought this year were never worn…
    Then I think I am going to persuade my partner to take one of the dry days off this week to help with the yard work, because that is something we do in the fall season….it is when we usually have dry and crisp weather….but we are setting records for rain even here! this year!

Nice picture…..I liked the Fall and winter in North Carolina Mountains when I lived there….but could not deal with the humidity at all.

My years in Ohio and NY and NJ were that way too…I am just not a heat person any more…

@ Patricia — The comforter is BACK on the bed???? Mine is still holed up in it’s summer laundry bag, just waiting.

I guess it’s not fun when you miss a season. I have heard that places like Washington State often don’t get a very good summer, which has it’s own down side. Then again, you would HATE it where I live. The humidity is unbelievable. You can go nicely dressed and in two seconds, you need another shower:~) Mother Nature loves to test us, doesn’t she?

I will think good thoughts about sunny days ahead for you and yours:~)

10. Fall/autumn is my favourite season.
    I like it when the nights close in earlier and it’s cold enough to always need a coat.
    Bring it on. lol

@ Arts web show — We are in total agreement. Fall is my favorite season with spring a big second. Summer and winter I more or less endure. Our winters where I live in North Florida can be actually VERY cold. We get damp winters. I’ve known people from Northern places who are shocked by the cold here.

So, I guess this means you are ready to do the Ritual Fall Dance? It’s easy…you follow Jannie’s example and find a pile of leaves…jump in them, toss them high into the air and run around the pile of leaves until you exhaust yourself, at which time, you fall backwards into the leaves (make sure you still enough leaves to cushion your fall). Of course, it’s best to do this where you have some privacy so that you aren’t dragged off to jail or other places:~)

Autumn is my favorite season. It makes me feel alive like no other (which is funny as everything is winding down). I get excited by the smell of woodsmoke, the apples coming to the markets, putting on a jacket in the morning and basking in the warmth of the late afternoon sun. And nothing smells finer to me than a pile of leaves and watching the dogs play in them – they love them as much as my kids used to when they were little. I love the clear blue of autumn skies. October blues are my favorite.

@ Talon — While I enjoyed everything you mentioned in your comment, I sort of got stuck when you said the “clear blue of autumn skies.” You are soooo right. A fall blue sky strikes me with awe every time.

I also agree about the feeling more alive in fall, even though things must die back and prepare for winter…perhaps it’s our last hurrah before winter races in and we’re stuck in the house again….but this time because it’s TOO cold.

So, enjoy your fall to it’s fullest. Happy day to you:~)

1. That my stepfather would beat me if I didn’t get everyone
    of the leaves picked before he got home.

2. Burning the leaves thinking they were my stepfather.

3. My stepfather driving us out to the corn fields at night
    and making us steal corn for him to sale so he could buy more liqueur.

@ Ellis — Well, that’s not a great memory about your stepfather is it? I hate mean people, especially when they have control over kids. Sometimes I think they are worse than murderers because they try to kill the soul of a child.

But he did not succeed with you, did he Ellis? He tried and failed. I know this because your poetry has life in it, even when it’s dark. I know this because he didn’t kill off your creative spark, which is what keeps our souls’ pilot light alive.

Something I’ve done when I’ve had difficult and painful memories which haunt me is to write them down and then burn them. Believe me, it is cathartic. Perhaps this fall, you can write down the bad memories of your stepfather and then burn them in a pile of fall leaves. Watch them disappear into the air until you no longer see them. Once gone, they no longer have power over you. Just think about it, okay:~)

13. Beautiful photo Sara,

I like walking through the leaves and hearing that rustling sound. There’s no other sound like that.

I’m not too fond of raking the leaves though. We have this tree in our yard that used to be pretty small, and when it dropped its leaves, raking wasn’t bad, but….it has grown to be a huge tree and when the leaves fall they’re like a thick blanket on the grass. I delegate that section to my husband. haha!

Fall is in the air here. We had snow on the mountains and leaves starting to change color.

@ Barbara — Thank you. Wow. You are lucky about fall…snow on the mountains. Pretty soon you’ll be hearing that rustling sound as you walk through leaves.

Regarding your tree…doesn’t it always happen that way with trees. You buy them when there but wee little things, nurse them into taking root and then BOOM, they suddenly spurt up and lovingly give you their fall leaves in droves.

Your poor husband, but I’d probably do the same as you, especially since I tend to be allergic…good excuse, right?

Thanks for visit and sharing your thoughts about fall:~)

Hi Sara! Lovely picture of what is soon to come to our neighborhood! I love all the season – each one has it’s own perks! (and equally its not so much, haha, i.e. raking leaves!) I love the crisper air – great time to air out the house after a season of a/c. I love taking walks a little speedier since I don’t sweat up as fast. I love love love the colors! It’s almost as if Nature says “Hey before we go all black and white, let me show what all we’ve got!” I also get excited about the up and coming Equinox when I set my goals/plans for the new quarter! This transition of seasons reminds me that change is good, don’t fight it, it is all natural so enjoy it and make the most of it!
    hugs
    suZen

@ Suzen — You hit on one of my favorite things about fall…airing out the house!! I didn’t actually grow up with A/C, even though I’ve lived in Florida my entire life. It wasn’t until I was about eight that we got window air conditioners, but only for the bedrooms. Fortunately, we lived on a lake and got nice breezes from the water.

I love this line in your comment, “It’s almost as if Nature says “Hey before we go all black and white, let me show what all we’ve got!” That’s a great way to think about fall, as is your reminder that life has changes and it’s best to not fight the changes, but make the most of them.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this season:~)

Hi Sara .. I have to say I’m not that happy about the autumn coming .. I guess it’s the cold and the grey – which we have a lot of .. but probably also because I’ve been ‘tied’ to the oldies for too long .. this year – things should be easier .. with only my mother & I intend to get out and about a little more.

But the long walks through the squelching, rustling leaves .. kicking the colours around .. and the overhang of the reds, yellows, russets before they drop to the ground is gorgeous seen in the shining sun.

Bonfires and firework nights were wonderful fun – cold, but just enlivening for little children.

So – we haven’t had the heatwaves you get .. but I could do with a little more summer before Autumn creeps in – except I see the cold air is coming down from the Artic! So Autumn is imminent …

It is a glorious early autumn day here today .. blue skies, sun out and crisping air .. Hilary

@ Hilary — Thank you for reminding me of bonfire nights. I haven’t done that in ages, but have fond memories of when I was kid…making ‘smores and sitting around keeping warm by the fire:~)

Enjoy your glorious autumn day:~)

16. Davina says:

Sara,
    I love your list of “I wants” — especially “I want to WANT a nice cup of hot chocolate.” I’m not fond of the cooler weather, but your list helps me to put myself in your shoes. I do enjoy the coloured leaves and shuffling through them; cooking hearty soups and stews. But… I long for April… even now, knowing that soon all the leaves will be on the ground.

@ Davina — I think I enjoy our fall time a bit more than those of you who live much more north. While we don’t have an especially long autumn, it tends to be very gradual and does last for some time, compared to other places. We only have about two months that are significantly COLD. So, I understand where you are coming from.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this:~)

17. Lori says:

Gorgeous photo! You took that one, yes? I love it.
    It was lovely reading about your fall memories, too. I happen to be a summer lover, September always turns out to be my favorite month, though. It’s something about the last push for summer alongside the ease and change to autumn. It’s magical.

Now to a couple of your questions.
    Memories:
    Carving pumpkins in the chill of the afternoon, with numb fingers.
    Harvesting white beans, sugar beets, corn and the ease that another season of crops have grown to nourish us humans.

First sign that fall has arrived:
    When the sandy beach beings to be covered by the smooth stones that move in for the fall and winter, resting and waiting to be washed out to sea again in the spring.

@ Lori — I can see what you’re saying about September. Unfortunately, our transition month is usually October, which like your September can be magical.

I enjoyed your memories, but was a bit confused about the “first sign of fall.” It feels like a riddle. Do you mean ice? Today my dense day:~)

Love it when you visit:~)

Your picture makes me think of two things…kicking through the leaves, which even at my age I can’t resist doing sometimes, and remembering my dog Molly, who just LOVED leaf piles and would dive merrily into them and then sit in the middle, smiling away.

The first sign is cooler nights!

My favorite fall activities are going to the cider mill, or attending a college football game. I hate football, lol, but I love the event. The crowds, the atmosphere.

@ Fireblossom — I like that hate football, but love the event:~) On the other, living in a football town, I can identify with your thoughts. My town tends goes kind of crazy when football season starts.

I also love cooler nights when you sit and actually watch the stars without consumed my mosquitoes:~)

Thanks for the visit…it’s always fun when you stop by:~)

19. Lori says:

Hey Sara, thanks for your reply.
    No, that was quite literal. (Although, I can see why you’d think it was a riddle.) 😉
    It’s always around 70 degrees year-round here, so other than flowers and daylight diminishing, the tell-tale sign of autumn/winter is that the beach starts to be covered with flat, smooth stones and they wash out again in the spring. Pretty cool, really.
    🙂
    (P.S. Thanks for loving when I visit — I love it when you post!)

@ Lori — That is really cool. I once visited a beach in England that was covered by river stones. I think it was like year round. I was fascinated by the stones. They were so smooth and multicolored. I loved It:~)

20. Jeanne says:

Sara,

That photo is so pretty! It reminds me of the trees we saw just last weekend when we took a detour on the way home from acupuncture to check out the leaves that are already changing quite a bit where it’s hilly.

It seems to be happening about a month earlier than what we are used to seeing. So, I was glad we made it out that way before it was too late.

It will be pretty here when the leaves turn more too… but there is just something special about seeing the foliage in the hilly areas. 🙂 We do have some leaves turning colors here but not as many as in the hills.

I’ll bypass what exactly tells me fall has arrived. I know you’re already aware from reading my last post that I am a “human weather vane”, so to speak. We’ll just leave it at that. 😉

Jeanne

@ Jeanne — Fall sounds lovely where you live. We’re just starting to see changes where I live. Next week, we will actually dip into to 60 degree mark Fahrenheit in the morning and only get to 80 degrees in the afternoon. After having too many days of being 90 degrees and above, this will be a welcomed relief:~)

I understand about the “human weather vane.” While I don’t experience anything like you, I do get sinus headaches that are pressure related. Sometimes they send me to bed…

You will feel better soon! See I’m making it a statement for the Universe and not a question!!!