Footprints in the sand

Happy New Year.

Wow. I can’t believe it’s already 2011. It’s amazing how time flies, isn’t it? I hope each of you will have a very happy and creative New Year!

For the first Story Photo post of this new year, I’m using a picture I took at the beach. I liked how these footprints were passing each other in the sand; like the proverbial “ships passing in the night.”

It made me wonder who made these footprints. I mean it’s obvious that one is human and the other a bird, but who were they and where were they going?

The Challenge

Using your imagination, what would say about these footprints?

As usual, I’m giving you some  questions to consider. You don’t have to answer all of them; they’re just to get the wheels of your imagination moving:

Who made the human’s footprint?

Who made the bird’s footprint?

Why were they going in opposite directions?

Where do you think each of them was going and why?

The Special Challenge

NOTE: Those of you who try this Special Challenge will be acknowledged in my next Story Photo challenge along with a link to your site.

Quickie Challenges

What do you notice that’s different about the human footprint?

What do you notice about the bird’s footprint?

Have fun with this. Let your imagination dance with your creativity:~)

26 comments on “Footprints in the sand

Fabulous capture, Sara! And Happy New Year! Wishing you and JC a most beautiful 2011!

I’ll do the Special Challenge:

Human: “Hello, little bird. Lovely day!”

Bird: “Squawk! Squawk! Chirp! Chirp! Cheep!”

@ Talon — LOL and they say “talk is cheep!” I love that you participated in the special challenge. Thank you!

Happy New Year back at you:~)

2. Liz says:

Who made the human’s footprint?

The human’s footprint was made by someone going through another hard time in her life. But it wasn’t her – it was the child in her that many people see.

Who made the bird’s footprint?

The bird’s footprint was made by the same person, but it was the part of her that wanted to fly away – the part of her that merely a few people knew/know.

Why were they going in opposite directions?

They are going opposite directions because that is how people see it. However, she wants all of her to move forward, but she wants the history to stay behind.

Where do you think each of them was going and why?
    Forward so history can’t repeat itself. Unfortunately, their mission has failed.

The Special Challenge

Can you please help me?

@ Liz — I love your responses to all the questions. I’d love to know your answer to that last question of five words “Can you please help me?” I wonder how each, the human and the bird would answer this question.

3. Carrie says:

The challenge –
    A long, hard and exhausting morning on the sea. Though it was calm today; the fish were biting and the work never seemed to stop, at least he had a load to sell at market, but best get there quick! Running along the waters edge he passed many birds but apart from that the whole beach was his own. This was the joy of the fisherman – to feel he had all this beauty to himself; the sound of the surf, the sweet noises of the birds and their adorable running along to the boat to look for scraps – why not fly and get there quicker? He liked to think they too loved the feel of the cool water under foot as the sun was already warming the sand.

Special challenge –
    Bird – Namaste! Hope you left some (bird winks and giggles).
    Human – Holy moly – a talking bird!???? (thinks his crazy, will keep this interaction to himself)

@ Carrie — I absolutely loved how you replied to the challenge — what beautiful writing! I could see the fisherman and the birds both enjoying the beach and the water. Well done!!!

LOL about the conversation. Who knows maybe the human just discovered a new bird species? It’s funny about talking. I talk and answer for my cat and dog. We have these marvelous conversations. See, this is what happens when you grow older and work at home alone. You’re allowed to be a bit of a nutter because no one even knows you are, except the animals:~)

I am so pleased you participated in both the challenges!

4. Julliette. O says:

Hello my beautiful and dear friend, missed you too and sorry been gone for a while still trying to catch up. Happy new year and may all your resolutions be realized.

Challenge ~ I was taking a beautiful walk along the beach early last Sunday morning. I’ve always loved the smell of the sea and it helps calm my mind and makes me see things from a different perspective. But this day turned out to be even more surprising than usual..

Special challenge –
    Bird – A beautiful morning it is ma’ lady! (Bows down)..
    Me (Human) Oh… How sweet ma’ dear bird…It’s beautiful indeed and i kissed it’s right wing lifted it up to the sky and told it to fly and catch the sun rays..
    Bird – Waves wing as he flies away…”Good day to you ma’ lady and hope to i ran into your beautiful self again soon. 🙂

FIN~

Thanks for letting me participate and love & kisses to you for this new year sweetie ~:)

@ Julliette O — It has been too long! Happy New Year:~) I went off the grid for most of the holidays. I answered my phone, but only after it rang the requisite ten times, read tons of books about nothing special and had cozy evenings by the fireplace (which my boyfriend repaired) with hot apple cider….it was NICE. I hope your holidays were just as nice.

I liked how you combined The Challenge and the Special Challlenge and I loved the conversation, especially these words, “I kissed it’s right wing, lifted it up to sky and told it fly and catch the sun…” That makes me sigh with pleasure. Well written:~)

The Challenge

1. A Woman cross country runner.
    2. Out of work Woody woodpecker.
    3. One going north One going south
    4. Woody was going after the toothpick she dropped behind her.
    5. Woody was going to Key West for the winner. She was going to NY for a marathon.

Special Challenge

Bird:
    “Thank for the food Mac.”

Woman Runner:
    “You are quite welcome Woody.”

A Quickie
    1. They’re running, only one print.
    2. It’s looking for food going back and forth

@ Ellis — It’s so much fun to back and read your comments. I have missed them during my holiday break. I’m a bit confused…does Woody eat toothpicks?

Well, whatever…you get the award for completing EVERY question…I’m impressed:~)

Thanks for taking part in these challenges. BTW-I enjoyed the new Jack and Jennet chapter at your site!

It was obviously a human walking a bird.

While that was the first thing that popped into my mind, it was not the likely scenario (it never was). So I’d say it’s someone walking and eating while dropping some crumbs, and then the bird is following along to eat those things.

But then I realize that the line is too straight. It’s not likely that the bird was picking up different pieces of food that way. And then I realized that the foot is a right foot and the left is certainly at a position that it would kick the bird.

And then I realized (finally) that they are going different directions.

So they were walking towards each other. The human was probably a careless one because he or she did not bother to avoid the bird’s path. The avoid bumping into the human, the bird slowed down (indicated by the shortening of the stride) and eventually flew off (indicated by the discontinuation of the footprints).

I am thinking waaaayyyy too much into this.

@ Kelvin — No wonder you’re so good at creating iPad applications. This was a great analysis of the bird and the human footprints. I got a good laugh, which was much appreciated.

Thanks for participating in the challenge:~)

7. Shay says:

The human footprint was made by a woman named Antoinette. She woke up that morning and found her man had left her alone in the beach house. She thinks, “I wish I were nothing but a piece of sea glass…then would be smooth, without all of these painful rough places.” And so she set out for the waterfall, inland to the north, intending to sit under it for years and years. until it could make her feel clear and smooth.

The bird is a crow named Boris. Boris woke up this morning and realized he was sick to death of the nest, and his mate Hortense, who was always and forever complaining. Every time she opened her mouth, dark clouds came out if it, and it would start to drizzle. Boris decided to go south to the sunshine, where he hoped he might meet a pretty hummingbird, but if not, he felt he could be happy if he could at least have sunshine and peace and quiet.

So, why were they seeking what they wanted in opposite directions? Because, happiness and sadness aren’t in the landscape. And yet, a journey was still required.

As they passed, Boris said,

“Here I go, swingin’ low.”

Antoinette looked over with a sad smile and answered,

“Bye bye Blackbird. Bye bye.”

@ Shay — Very creative, but I wouldn’t expect any less of you! You always tell the most interesting stories. I can see the characters. To me, Boris would be the pumped up type of crow and would swagger when he walks; whereas Antoinette would a waif like person, with long reddish blond hair and aquamarine eyes. Although, with that longer second toe, she could come from royalty, but sadly may end up as a Greek sculpture:~)

Thanks for participating…your comments always make me want more of the story…:~)

Hi Sara! Wishing you a joyous start to the New Year! Thanks for all the creative inspiration in 2010 – you are a GEM!

The human was walking against the wind, the bird going with the flow of it so I’m sure the bird told the human he/she would make more progress by not fighting the elements but in making them work for him/her. Wondering if the human adjusted course? We would do so well to pay attention to nature, wouldn’t we?

hugs
    suZen

@ Suzen — Very clever and smart. Perhaps paying attention to what nature tell us is the moral of these crossing footprints? I like that idea.

Thanks for stopping by and participating in this challenge:~)

I thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone’s responses to this. I’ve got nothing though. I am not feeling imaginative today, but wanted you to know I loved the creativity in this.

@ Lynn — I always love it when you stop by and you never HAVE to participate in these challenges. It is fun, however, to read everyone’s take on this picture. I ‘m pleased that you enjoyed that:~)

I love the little bird tracks in the sand, so delicate next to the big feet of us humans. I’m slowly getting back into the swing of things, but will attempt the special challenge, and this was definitely a challenge!

The bird and his human counterpart stopped and stared at each other in disbelief, and both exclaimed at the same time “You’re going the wrong way!”

@ Linda — I know the tracks are so different. It was but a short while after this photo was taken that the bird’s footprints had already disappeared. Then again, perhaps that’s a good idea as the bird is tiny….I doubt he’d want any “not so friendlies” to follow his footprints:~)

Thanks for stopping by!

11. Alien Ghost says:

The Challenge

“Who made the human’s footprint?”
    A man who wanted to fly.

“Who made the bird’s footprint?”
    A bird that only wanted to walk.

“Why were they going in opposite directions?”
    Because their desires were opposite.

“Where do you think each of them was going and why?”
    To find their own truth while pursuing their own dreams.

The Special Challenge

“Imagine that the bird and the human stopped at one point and saw each other. Each can only say five words to the other. What would they say to each other?”

Bird: “Flying is not the answer”
    Man: “Walking will slow you down”

Quickie Challenges

“What do you notice that’s different about the human footprint?”
    There’s only one, so he did fly!

“What do you notice about the bird’s footprint?”
    The prints keep going, so it did trade flying for walking!

They found their dreams, even if it’s against their own nature.

Raul

@ Raul — I’m so impressed!! Both you and Ellis did ALL the questions and a great job you did at answering them. I like the twist in the conversation…well done. It’s funny there’s only one human footprint. It could well be he was running to take off into the air.

And you gave me a “happy ending.” I love happy ending:~)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this challenge!

I know woodpeckers do not eat wood BUT!!!

How much wood could a woodpecker eat if a woodpecker could eat wood?

13. Belinda says:

Fantastic image, Sara! I’m easing back into the year and at the moment, I have no words other than I really love this picture and I wonder what force of nature made the uneven line that cuts through the human foot print.

@ Belinda — I loved what you said and I understand about easing back into the New Year. It seems most of us are doing the same.

I thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts:~)