Story Photo: The Green Net

Shrimp Fishing

This is a picture of some nets on a Shrimper. It was taken at Apalachicola, Florida. Shrimp fishing is very common in this area of Florida. If you are walking the docks, you will see lots of boats with this particular net.

The Challenge

There’s something special about this net and what’s inside it. This is your challenge today. Figure out what this net is used for. Be sure you notice the silver grill thing inside the net. I will give a few hints. These hints are thanks to Wikipedia.

1) This device was required by United States law in 1987 on all trawling shrimp boats.

2) Countries that cannot guarantee the use of these devices are banned from exporting shrimp to the USA.

3) The device has the nickname of TED.

4) It saves many lives, but some shrimpers refuse to use it.

5) Remember, take your time with this; the fastest one doesn’t always win:~)

Put your answers in the comment box. Next Monday, I will tell you what this net device is used for. This should give you plenty of time to Google the answer:~)

Bonus Credit

You get bonus credit, if you can explain how this device works in 55-words or less.

25 comments on “Story Photo: The Green Net

It keeps bigger things, such as fish and boots out of the net, hence saving the lives of many boots.

• Kelvin Kao says:

On another thought, that grill is actually electronically heated. So by the time you bring up the net, you have grilled shrimps instead of just shrimps.

@ Kelvin — since I’m so late with my replies…you already should know I liked this answer very much. It was clever:~)

@ Kelvin — How’d you come up with “boots” of all things:~) I guess we will have to consider putting old wet boots on the endangered species list.

Hi Sara .. it has serious intention obviously .. I guess it lets the little ones slip through .. like they all said roll over and out went the babies to grow on .. interesting .. but can’t guess for now .. cheers Hilary

@ Hilary — This is a case when it’s not the babies, but the adults that “roll out.”

Thanks for visiting and sharing!

My brother-in-law keeps his boat in Apalachicola – I almost cheated and asked him. 🙂 But really – I have no earthly idea. I like Kelvin’s answer though – a boot saver.

@ Lynn — He would know in a second and probably have a few complaints about it. It’s not easy on the shrimpers, but it is for a good cause.

Hi Sara! Yikes, I have no clue and no imagination this morning at ALL. Dealing with server problems on my site has me in a grizzly mood. Well, maybe this net is a nightmare catcher? As opposed to the dream catcher? Uh. I need more coffee.
    Hugs
    SuZen

5. jc says:

It’s to keep Ted Danson, Ted Bundy, Teddy bears, & Teddy Roosevelt off your boat plus any fish that are wearing teddies.

I LOVE JC’s answer! Well, I know for a fact that it is an anti-mermaid device. It puts out some sort of sonar signal and they all stay away from the boat. The shrimp can’t swim fast enough so they get caught. Aww. I don’t like scenario either. Maybe the mermaids all gather up the shrimp and take them to safety. And they all live happily ever after under the sea! How’s that for a happy ending, Sara.

@ Jean — What a creative answer. Even though it’s wrong, I like it a lot, especially how you incorporated the “happy ending.” Well done:~)

7. Turtle Excluder Device (TED) consists of panels of metal grids within shrimp nets. The nets drag along the bottom scooping up shrimp which travel to through TED into the end of the net. Sea turtles, other sea creatures too large to get through TED are deflected out an escape hatch.

8. pea says:

Oh dear oh dear. Having read the above replies, clearly I have to inject some experienced, solemn wisdom into this photo story challenge…It’s quite obviously a giant orange slicer. You can even see the oranges hanging by the side there. 🙂

Either that or what Linda said…

@ pea — LOL This answer was both clever and funny. I hadn’t even noticed the orange thingies,until you mentioned them:~)

9. Dr. J says:

I think it allows unintended catches to escape the net. It doesn’t work too well, me thinks.

@ Dr. J — No, there are still problems with the net, but it’s much better than the net without the TED. We have a lot more mama’s crawling up on the beaches to lay their eggs in the same place they were born :~)

The serious answer, like the other Linda said, is to keep turtles from being captured. On a more humorous note, it is used to capture and filet the larger fish. I just love a good seafood dinner. 🙂

@ Linda — You’re right about Linda R., but I do agree a good seafood dinner when someone else gets to filet the fish is a delicious thing:~)

11. Jeff says:

It is great that they had placed this silver grill device to assure that turtles will be excluded from the catch. I googled it right away and I am thankful to have learned such a valuable info.

12. […] week’s story photo post, The Green Net, had a picture of a fishing net with something inside it. Readers were asked to guess what this […]