Thoughtful Thursday: When Life Gives Lemons

Making Lemonade

What do you do when life gives you lemons and then, keeps on giving them? Okay, we all know the cliché; we’re supposed to make lemonade. That’s a sweet thought, isn’t it:~)

But what happens if you get stuck and the lemons keep coming faster and faster. You can’t make the lemonade quick enough and the lemons keep piling up!

I’ll be honest. I’ve been experiencing my share of lemons lately and they aren’t coming gently down the conveyor belt. No, these are pounding into me and they hurt. I can’t catch up with them to even attempt making them into lemonade.

So, what do I do? Well, you know me. I write about it. I also find a way to laugh about it.

Laughter Therapy

For me, laughter is a magic laser that slices through the lemon-days in my life.  When I’m laughing, I can’t stay angry or even upset. Laughter is therapy for me; it makes me see things with a different, more healthy, perspective.

As I thought of my current situation, I remembered the “I love Lucy Show”  and this particular clip from it.  I found it on YouTube.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uztA6JCKB4s[/youtube]

Did you laugh? I did! I laugh every time I watch it. I don’t just chuckle politely; this one makes me belly laugh until tears come to my eyes.

And I feel better because of it. My world, which was tilting by the weight of lemons, has shifted back up. All it took was the balance of laughter.

So, if like me, you’re feeling pummeled by lemons, find a way to make yourself laugh. The lemons will not disappear, but I guarantee, you won’t mind them nearly as much:~)

Photo Credit: papadimitriou

20 comments on “Thoughtful Thursday: When Life Gives Lemons

You’re right, finding something silly to laugh at really does help.

@ Shay — No kidding! It is true, you can’t stay mad when you’re really laughing. It’s a “being present” activity.

I missed you and I’m pleased you visited:~)

Lemons? They look like tennis balls. Get a racket and hit them back!

@ Kelvin — Hey, I have a hard time hitting anything with a tennis racket. You remind that I forgot to give credit for that photo. It wasn’t mine. It was a stock photo by papadimitriou. I’ll have to add my own comment to let people know.

Thanks for the visit:~)

I always laugh when she starts cramming the candy in her mouth. 🙂

Lots of lemons lately, but I’ve got a mixture of lemons and lemonade today – thanks for the early morning chuckle, Sara.

@ Lynn — Me, too:~) I forget sometimes how funny that show was until I watch a clip again.

I’m pleased you have “mixture” of lemons AND Lemonade. Hopefully, more of the lemons can be squeezed into the lemonade.

Thanks for stopping by:~)

4. May life start handing you yummy chocolates at a high rate of speed rather than lemons! This is my favorite I Love Lucy episode of all time.

@ Nadine — I agree and since I absolutely love chocolate, I’d much rather be stuffing my face with chocolate than lemons!!!

Thanks for the visit:~)

5. suZen says:

Hi Sara! Yes indeed laughter will help most anything. I don’t have to go far for that since my two dogs are so comical! I also find that sitting in stillness, meditating or walking in nature quiets my monkey mind – which does get busy with making lemonade a lot too! – and that quiet space gives me a chance to get into higher consciousness. There are no problems there – nice place to hang out! 🙂
    Hugs
    Susan

@ Susan — Animals can be one the best sources of comic relief. My old dog sleeps a lot, but my cat is very comical. She’ll do these mad crazy cat dashes about the house and when I make up the bed, she loves to chase me around it as I move from side to side. I like the term, “monkey mind” and yes, you are right, making time to sit quietly will often settle the spirit and chase away those “lemons.”

An age old question
    what should one do
    if lemons covers you up
    and lemonade does to

How does one stand
    if your burden overflows
    if the weight on your shoulders
    pushes you to your toes

The answer I don’t have
    I’m sorry to say
    because a new load of grapefruits
    was just shipped my way

@ Ellis — I am sorry about the grapefruits, but you made my day with a good laugh. I miss your poetry so much. I really hope once you get things settled, you will be back. In the meantime, I LOVE IT when you stop and leave me such delightful and clever poems:~)

Sara, I am sorry that life is raining lemons now. I am glad you can find laughter to ease your way. All is well here, but we’ve had a few lemons, too.

Hi Sara—-I DO LOVE that episode of Lucy. My best friend and neighbor and I used to pretend that we were Lucy and Ethel—– I was a little older, so I got to be Lucy! Yep, those lemons are dropping off the tree almost as fast as that candy. I LOVE to laugh and to make other people laugh—–that is one of my favorite things to do—–so I do a LOT of laughing! And, every once in awhile, if you cut one of those lemons open, you’ll find that it is filled with gold! I hope yours will all be gold-filled and mine will be, too! Then you can REALLY laugh!

9. Amy L. says:

Hi Sarah, I had to include your blog in the Liebster Award roster. You offer great tips and always with a smile. You can find out more here: http://3to9travels.wordpress.com/2011/09/23/liebster-award-dearest/

10. What a pleasant surprise to see Lucy and Ethel in the assembly line. It was exactly what I pictures when I read our line about the conveyor belt.
    Laughter is always the best medicine!!

Hugs!!!

I do hope the lemons will disappear soon. I know it is not fun to have too many of them and we all seem to be having more than our fair share lately. Laughter does do the trick that is for sure. The other thing that really helped me/us when my husband got sick was gratitude for what we do have. I know sometimes that seems like such a cliche but it actually does seem to work for us.
    There really is nothing Lucy and Ethel. It would be so much fun to have experiences like they did.

12. Liz says:

When lemons and limes come pouring into my life, I don’t exactly make myself laugh. I dance, but I suppose the concept is quite the same. However, this time something different (and greater) came out of it.

Wooh! I DID IT! is about my theme. I made it. 😉 Yep… ALL ME. 😀

This is what I found… It’s really upbeat, and just has that … hm. “SO WHAT?!” attitude. Even though lemons/limes aren’t exactly a “boy” or a “one”, I think this song can go with just about anything… I think it was also the music video that set my mood for the song as a whole.

I hope things are going well. 🙂 I miss I Love Lucy!… What a wonderful show!

13. Caity says:

Sorry to hear things haven’t been going so smoothly in your world lately but I love to hear that you are optimistic about it. I think that’s an awesome way to go about life and that’s the angle that I always try to come at it, too.

I knew what clip that was before I even pressed play and I do love that clip, as well. Thanks for sharing. I love it and I love Lucy! 🙂

This by far is one of my favorite Lucy moments!!!
    Thanks for the wonderful comments on my blog. I am a big fan and buyer on Etsy. I never considered putting my photos up for sale. Thanks for the suggestion!!