Picture Quote

Great things are done by a series of small things brought together. ~ Vincent van Gogh

These pictures are examples of Beach Morning Glory (also known as Railroad Vine), an important vine that helps maintain the dunes of coastal areas.

Who Guessed Right

Last week’s story photo post, The Green Net, had a picture of a fishing net with something inside it. Readers were asked to guess what this thing in the net was used for.

While I loved ALL the answers, with JC’s help, here are the ones I selected based on the following categories: Most Accurate. Most Creative and The Funniest.

JC’s comment was also funny. He was slightly disappointed to be excluded from the selections, but he didn’t read the small teeny-tiny print that excluded any family members of the judge:~)

Most Accurate and Bonus Winner

Linda M. Rhinehart Neas

Turtle Excluder Device (TED) consists of panels of metal grids within shrimp nets. The nets drag along the bottom scooping up shrimp which travel to through TED into the end of the net. Sea turtles, other sea creatures too large to get through TED are deflected out an escape hatch.

Honorable mention

Jeff

It is great that they had placed this silver grill device to assure that turtles will be excluded from the catch. I googled it right away and I am thankful to have learned such a valuable info.

Most Creative

Jean Sampson (She also knows I love tales with “happy endings”)

Well, I know for a fact that it is an anti-mermaid device. It puts out some sort of sonar signal and they all stay away from the boat. The shrimp can’t swim fast enough so they get caught. Aww. I don’t like scenario either. Maybe the mermaids all gather up the shrimp and take them to safety. And they all live happily ever after under the sea! How’s that for a happy ending, Sara.

The Funniest

Kelvin Kao

On another thought, that grill is actually electronically heated. So by the time you bring up the net, you have grilled shrimps instead of just shrimps.

Honorable Mention

Pea

Oh dear oh dear. Having read the above replies, clearly I have to inject some experienced, solemn wisdom into this photo story challenge…It’s quite obviously a giant orange slicer. You can even see the oranges hanging by the side there.

*     *     *     *     *     *     *

I thank everyone who left a comment about this. I really did think you would just Google “TED” and so, you pleasantly surprised me with your many creative responses:~)

25 comments on “Picture Quote

Lots of good answers there. 🙂

2. Stephan Hilson says:

It is a nice quote of Vincent Van Gogh. And I agree that the great things could be made if a series of small things will be combined. The first picture puzzled me because I didn’t know what is this thing. When I have read about the description of Beach Morning Glory (also known as Railroad Vine), I thought the little plant looked nice and simple. It is interesting that the vine spread in the ground.

@ Stephan — I was surprised when I saw this quote was from Vincent Van Gogh. It didn’t seem like something he’d say, but that just shows the importance of not making assumptions:~)

3. pea says:

I got an honorable mention! They love me! They really love me! (A la Sally Fields Oscar speech!)

…Although I’m thinking honorable mention AND most accurate?…No, no…that would be greedy and churlish! 🙂

4. Amy L. says:

I’m sorry I missed this challenge. I signed up for subscription. I feel sorry for all animals who have to die for human pleasure and consumption.

Anyway, my excerpt DSL is is just a slice, a sliver. Like a pizza pie, part mushroom, part onion, part olive, part garlic: you only cut a slice of a slice. Can you understand?

@ Amy — Oh, you made my day. I love it when people subscribe AND when they want to take on the challenges. Some of my regular readers would love help. The Story Photo series has been going for a long time. It’s always a picture and some kind of challenge, usually one that requires using your imagination. This one was actually the odd one out.

Thanks for telling me about DSL. I get it now and that’s helpful. I will be visiting again soon:~)

I’m lost. That will teach me to stay away too long!

PS–I love the October calendar page!

@ Shay — Since I’m late in responding….have you been found yet? I can’t imagine Shay being lost.

I know I need to change my calendar picture!!! Although, this was my favorite of all the pictures. I love the look at this little bird’s face. He reminds me of the guy you don’t want to meet in a alley. I imagine him wearing a leather jacket and macho boot with holes for his talons (they’re made in a special kind of silk for birds only. He’s a fierce little guy who takes not guff from anyone:~)

What? There’s nothing funny about a healthy appetite. 😉

@ Kelvin — This took me a second, but you’re right. These little plants know how to use their resources. They can even distill their water from the spray of salt water, but those of us on beach coastal areas are very appreciative of them. They help our dunes stay strong and if the Big Bad Wolf blows the dune down, the vines build right back up:~)

Hi Sara .. trying again .. has it posted .. I emailed you too .. cheers Hilary

Hi Sara .. I don’t think my comments are taking ..

I replied to the Word one .. and it’s lost .. but here’s something similar – could you post up for me – thank you!

Jane
    She paints
    She uses bristle
    colouring the purply thistle
    which springs up amidst fields
    of scarlet sun-drenched waving poppies
    Flowers bedecking our vista views in plains
    Afore the azure sky with mountainous range between –
    Zephyrous wind gently plays amongst the trees and hedgerows …
    She flops into the meadowland delighted to dream some more …

Cheers Sara – my comments are getting lost somewhere along the way .. this is another attempt .. AFTER I posted the one above which ‘took’ …

@ Hilary — This is GREAT!!!! You got the numbers right! Love it:~)

I’m also pleased this message explained the first one. I was a bit confused, but all is clear.

9. Patricia says:

We have mostly rocky beaches here in my water world, but the sea grasses are very important and the what we call Japanese strawberry plants are vital to our beach fronts. My brother in law just had to put in 250 specialized beach plants to preserve his water front property and also bring in some big logs and secure them and then several huge loads of rocks. The bay is now a great deal of mud flats.

For years and years we ignored our beaches and the houses that were built – we do have to pay a big price now to bring back health to the environments.

lovely pictures and thank you so much for sharing the comments on your word posts.

I have stopped getting your blog in my inbox….I need to figure out how to change that – I think since your update. I get it on the reader, but I only go there once a week.

Thank you for your very generous words on my blog post – I so appreciate your comments and idea sharing

@ Patricia — Thanks for telling me that. I’ll have to check this out with my blog guru and see if we can fix it, along with the problem Hilary mentioned about Comment luv.

I love your posts and especially your book reviews. You do a great job with them.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting about the beach!

10. I’d never heard of beach ivy but I love the idea!

@ Megan — It’s a hardy kind of vine. BTW I love your site. I laughed all through your post. I love sites and people who make me laugh.

Hey, Sara. Thanks for the honor! You know by now that you will never get a factual answer out of me, don’t you? My mind always takes me in a fanciful direction—-and that is how I have fun! oxoxox

12. jc says:

come to dinner

Pauvre JC .. having to resort to emailing you ..??!! Expect dinner was delicious .. H

14. Just getting back here and what a surprise! Didn’t expect to be a “winner”!
    Really like your Van Gogh quote and the pictures…lovely reminder of how each of us is necessary to keep the fabric of life intact.
    Blessings!

@ Linda — I’m glad you’re back! Yes, I got quite a laugh about how many people didn’t guess this, especially since I gave the very clear clue about TED. I was thrilled someone actually figured it out! Thank YOU:~)