Photo Challenge: The Face-Off

photo by sara b. healy (click to enlarge)

While walking on the beach one day, I came across two strange creatures I’d never seen before. They’d come from far, far, far…take my word it…very far away!

When I stumbled upon them, they were in a face-off with each other. I snapped this quick picture before they were yanked away by some unseen force and disappeared. I never saw them again.

Your Challenge

Answer one or more of the questions listed below. In your comment, be sure to let us know which questions you picked to answer.

If you choose #5 be sure to give your creatively crafted question, as well your creatively crafted answer:~)

1. What are the names of the two creatures?
  2. Where did they come from?
  3. Why are they in a face-off?
  4. What force yanked them away and why?
  5. Make up your own question and answer it.

If you dare, you can click on the photo to enlarge it so you can see the creatures better. Be careful, they are a scary pair.

Have fun, be creative and, by all means, enjoy this challenge:~)

20 comments on “Photo Challenge: The Face-Off

Hi Sara #5:

Why did the Lobster go to the Coal Face?

To get a blackout from the sun ….

Not very good – cheers Hilary

@ Hilary — LOL This was WONDERFUL. I’m still laughing.

Don’t you dare say it wasn’t very good. I loved it and since this is my site, I say it was not only good, it was EXCELLENT.

2. pea says:

1. The big one is called an isomolophagus. The second one is called Fred.

2. You already answered that, far, far, far very far away. I would be bold enough to add another ‘far’ to that however.

3. They are not in a face off. They are discussing quantum physics. The sea can be loud. They are whispering.

4.The force is called, the sea.

5. Will you be voting Obama in for the next administration? No. I’m not American. 🙂

@ pea — I like the names and the comparison between the big one and the second one. I wish I had sound so I could hear you pronounce the big one’s name!

LOL adding a few more “fars” is perfectly fine with me:~)

Quantum physics….you could do a lot with that one. And your idea of the “force” is probably pretty accurate.

Love question five. I had to think about it, to be honest. I’m thinking why is pea doing a political thing with this post and then, I hit my forehead with my palm with the line, “No, I’m not American.” Got it:~)

Well. there are actually 3 creatures, all different. One, a Crocajaw Maximus, is sneaking up on the other one, a Rhinowoodimus Beachas Driftimus. Coming in from the bottom right and throwing off poison worms that it produces for protection, is the rare Weedus Shredimus Belly Silder. They are fighting to see who gets to stay on the beach and eat crabs. The Belly Slider is winning with his projectile worms. But, suddenly a huge Saltivenemous Toothful Meanimus comes out of the water, for the first time in 1000 years, and eats them all in one big bite. He turns and goes back into the waves, lets out a tremendous belch, and goes down into his lair to sleep for another 1000 years!
    So, as far as I can tell, it IS safe to go into the water now. 🙂

@ Jean — LOL That’s almost a complete short story. I loved the names and how they disposed of each other only to be disposed of. It fits survival of the fittest or perhaps of the biggest?

Thanks for the laugh!

I’m thinking they’re water creatures of some sort…I’m thinking something bigger and badder came along and showed them both who was boss! lol

@ Gerri — You and Jean should have gotten together. I can imagine something “bigger and badder” whisked them away:~)

Thanks for sharing in this photo challenge:~)

After I read Hilary’s answer, I knew I could never top that. 🙂

At first I thought the big head thing was evil, but then I looked at its eye, and saw the sadness. He is Rashada, a prince from a foreign land. His greedy stepmother had him cursed for falling in love with a common lass instead of marrying an heiress to further increase their kingdom. The only way to break the curse is do a year’s service to the Esdemona, the sea monster, who will then put an irreversible curse on the stepmother, and return him to his beloved.

@ Linda — I agree. I also thought his eye looked sad. Well, at least he has HOPE that he break the curse…too bad for the stepmother…but then again, fairy tales didn’t treat them as nice characters, did they?

The large black mass was from another time and another place. As he quietly lay on the sand, a beautiful brightly colored creature slowly moved closer and closer to see what was covering up her home. It is a long story but over time two very different creatures from two very different worlds became quite good friends.

@ Ginny — I like that you let them become friends. It must been hard on the black mass to ended up in this strange land. So, it’s nice he has a friend:~)

8. Patricia says:

What great stories and I like the picture very much. The force is with you and so would be the water that carried the two away in the next wave of coming and going…

But while on the beach they are attempting to make an Easter Bonnet of the colorful string and attach it successfully to at least one head for the season, but time is running out and the strands are breaking because without thumb and forefinger they have to use their heads! What were they thinking? It was just to become another attempt of creativity on the part of two hunks who wished to attract others to their plait. They resigned themselves to their fate and moved on to the next wave of energy and pull.

Answering No. 3 –

For as long as there has been an oceans and seas, there have been battles mortals never dreamed of. And even when a mortal, unsuspecting, stumbles across such a battle, they know not what they are seeing. The creatures of the sea will always clam up when confronted by humans and carry their differences back to the depths.

Hoping it will let me comment, Sara!

Hope you and JC are having a lovely weekend.

@ Talon — IT DID LET YOU COMMENT and I’m so pleased. I like your brief story about “battles mortals never dreamed of” and that the creatures “carry their differences back to the depth.”

Thanks for participating in this challenge:~)

yay! it worked 🙂

@ Talon — How could it refuse it? My penalties for refusing a favorite person are massive — worse than what those two creatures might do to each other in their battles:~)