Stained Glass: A Poem Challenge

Colors in sunlight
Shining through broken glass shards
Creating mind stories

*****

Your challenge is this:
Tell us what your creative mind
Sees in stained glass

p.s. you get extra credit if you write your comment as a haiku. Keep in mind, what I wrote isn’t TRUE haiku, especially the second verse. I cheated and so, you have my permission to cheat as well, but do keep to the syllable count of 5-7-5. If you need help with this, go here. :~)

16 comments on “Stained Glass: A Poem Challenge

I see a road to something in the distance. There’s the blue sky and a hill on the left and a building on the right.

That was totally not a haiku.

@ Kelvin — I saw the “yellow brick road”:~) You still described what you saw and that was the true challenge. It was just extra credit to do the haiku and you really don’t need extra credit.

Ohhhh!!! I don’t have a poetic bone in my body, but I did see something vaguely Egyptian for some reason – probably the colors.

@ Lynn — That’s interesting. Now that I look at again, I can see what you mean about the colors. It’s actually the background of small prayer room. Thanks for stopping by!

Hi Sara …

Mixture of hues blend
    dappled moving rays of sunshine
    creating moonshine hope

I love the photo- it’s glorious … cheers Hilary

@ Hilary — Oh, this is a good one. I love it when you come to play creatively! You are so good at it. I hope all is well with you. I know you’ve been very busy lately. Those of us who visit your site will miss your mom and your lovely little notes about her. I’m so pleased Harwick is now living with you. He couldn’t have a better place or be with a nicer person.

This reminds me of the Wizard of Oz for some reason.

To find what you seek
    You must follow your feet down
    The yellow brick road

@ Linda — I also saw the yellow brick road, but you went even better with your haiku. It’s perfect for that stained glass:~) Thanks for playing along!

5. I am not good at writing poetry or Haiku…I will beg off. I will tell you a stained glass story. A church in Seattle was designed by a famous architect just about 10 years ago, and because the church was not in a very scenic location they used stained glass spots all throughout a stone wall to tell the stories of the Easter message….It was beautiful
    On Easter Sunday morning after the church was completed only for a few weeks, the sun rose and shined brightly through the windows and onto the alter…after the morning scriptures were read the alter began smoking…and shortly there after burst into flames. All of those beautiful windows are now covered over with some kind of treatment as to keep the carpeting from bursting into flames or a reoccurance.
    Contemporary Architects do not know enough of the scripture stories to understand why the placement of stained glass is so important. My Father – in – law was an expert and designed about 70 churches for all denominations in this state…my husband does stained glass as an art form, He did Georgia O’Keefe style poppies in our living room which are stunning.
    Thank you for you kind words on PW…It was so nice to discover your visit and comments. I have had surgery on my back this summer and am just getting back to more blog visiting, because I just could not sit in a chair at the computer for more than a few minutes at a time.
    You write such good words. Thank you for sharing

@ Patricia — That must had quite an impact on the people attending that particular Easter service!

I also appreciated your information about the placement of stained glass. You are very right about it. I’ve learned more since I’ve traveled to England to visit my daughter and the stained glass was generally used to tell specific stories and for the reader to follow the stories in pictures.

I didn’t know about your surgery. I’m pleased you’re doing better. You are a strong woman and I know it will not be long before you’re up and taking those nice walks again with the puppy…who’s probably not a puppy anymore.

Thanks for the visit.

6. jean sampson says:

Japanese woman,
    your eyes are filled with blue sky—
    your gaze turns inward.

There ya go, Sara, I saw something that reminds me of a Japanese print of a woman. Go figure ! 🙂
    Hope the kitchen is nearly done!

7. Valerie says:

This isn’t mine Sara, but I’ve always liked it-

Two inmates looked through prison bars,
    One saw mud, and one saw stars.

This view from the “window” on this stained glass is definitely of the star variety:) Gorgeous! I wonder where that path leads? It reminds me of the yellow brick road:)

Thank you so much for your recent comments, too:) xx

@ Valerie — Now I join you. I like these words also. If only more of us could see stars instead of mud.

Funny about the “yellow brick road”…that’s what most people saw, including me.

I love your visiting your site. You have something that makes smile or even giggle. Also, the purses you create are marvelous AND I love that you are a magpie:)

8. Sarah:

Let me what you think?

Beauty in itself
    Comes from within the heart
    Seek and you shall find

I didn’t do it right. Lol.

Best Wishes,
    William Veasley

@ William — You still get the extra credit!! I liked what you wrote and thank you for visiting and taking part in this challenge.