The teller’s lore of the cellar’s door

(Best read out loud:~)

I am the cellar door
I have many rusty locks
Open me and hell or more
Will strip you down to your socks

I am the cellar door
I have unique secrets you see
Until the dweller poor
Opened me with the aged key

I am the cellar door
I possess such a mighty gale
From my propeller four
That fool became a coffin nail

Someone, close the damn cellar door.

image courtesy of Thor Carlson
(via Flickr Creative Commons)

*     *     *     *     *

This short poem is written based on the prompt: So “cellar door” and a propeller… use either or both to craft your piece. Happy writing!

14 comments on “The teller’s lore of the cellar’s door

1. Bee says:

Funny! That door sure has a ton of locks on it!

2. Wow what a picture – and I love the poem…I read it with a hearty voice and scared the pup!

Thanks for sharing.

You do such a good job and play with words well!

3. Alien Ghost says:

OK, you got me in this one, I don’t understand poetry most of the times since usually is not the straight meaning of the words but the representation they give. Still, I got impressed by the size of the propeller when compared with the explicative text in the post that suppose to be directly related to a normal person eight. Each blade should be the size of a person!

Raul

lol! This was a fun read, Sara…and very cool shots! I read it aloud (which I always do with poetry…it just adds the right element) and enjoyed it even more 🙂

I definitely think someone should close that door!

Thanks for your visit today, Sara!

6. angela says:

Very nicely done! I did read it aloud and loved the rhythm of it.

Haha. This makes me want to open it and see what’s behind the door!

Hi Sara .. I love the photos and your poem story line – my brain’s gone for April .. it’s A-Zing …

I could imagine many a story being told through that cellar door going back centuries …

Good to see you over at D .. E is also food!! Cheers and hugs – it was snowing in London yesterday … Hilary

9. Valerie says:

Very nice Sara! I love the poetry side of you!

I especially loved the sound of this passage:

“I am the cellar door
    I possess such a mighty gale
    From my propeller four
    That fool became a coffin nail”

And the ending was stellar! Short, and to the point!!

Great writing, my friend!!

10. Ms M. says:

loved the cadence and humour of this piece

11. Liza says:

That looks like quite a heavy door! I like this poem; it’s rather humorous. 🙂

This indeed fun to read!

13. jean sampson says:

What fun, Sara! And a photo like that reminds me of the nights I sit up late to watch Ghost Adventures where these types of doors are right at home! 🙂

14. Hahaha! Awesome… 🙂