A Face Off with Life

Sometimes life is a boxer with gloved hands.
It knocks you down and dances around you, laughing.
It dares you to pull yourself back up again.
You lie on the rough mat, beaten and exhausted.
Life slaps the mat.
You hear the count.
One. Two. Three. Four.
The seconds tick off.

Sometimes it’s doubt that holds you down,
Making it harder to get up.
Your throat stings with failure, you taste weakness.
You don’t know what to do because you feel despair.
Your heart pumps it.
You cough it up.
The seconds tick off.
Five. Six. Seven. Eight.

Sometimes it’s faith that lifts you up,
Making it easier to be strong.
Your soul fills with spirit, you taste courage.
You know what to do because you have hope.
Your hand grips it.
You drink it down.
The seconds tick off
The count is nine.

Sometimes you are a boxer with gloved hands.
You climb back up and dance around life, laughing.
You dare it to knock you down again.
You stand on the rough mat, revived and confident.
Life tosses its gloves.
The count is over.
Your words are taunting,
“See you next time.”

We all have moments when we feel beaten and exhausted by a round with life. We can choose how we face off with life’s challenges – let them knock us down for the count or use our courage and faith to pull ourselves back up again.

As Roger Crawford said, “Being challenged in life is inevitable, being defeated is optional.”

Care to Share?

When you faced off with one of life’s challenges, what did you do to get back into the fight?

New Blogger Alert

Guess what? Linda, From Roses to Rainbows, announced recently her husband, Jim, has started his own blog. He’s a very funny man. I think you’ll like his posts:~) I encourage you to stop by and welcome him to the blogging community.

17 comments on “A Face Off with Life

Hey Sara — well, at least life had the courtesy to use gloves in that particular situation. But seriously, I can relate — I know that every experience I’ve had that, at the time, seemed humiliating to the point of endangering my health has caused me to significantly grow as a person. I guess I welcome more humiliation. 🙂

@ Chris — LOL. Yes, in this round life was nice enough to put on gloves. I agree about growing from life’s challenges!

I’ve always admired your willingness to accept new situation and give them a try. I think I can honestly say, from my experience, you’ve definitely succeeded, more than you’ve been humiliated:~)

2. jean sampson says:

I am right there with Chris—-it is all about growth and learning. BUT sometimes I would just like to go out and have some recess at this “Earth School”! 🙂
    Hope all is well with you, Sara!

@ jean — Don’t we all wish for recess.

This was written for someone I know who is struggling right now as a reminder we can get back up:~)

Sometimes life does throw those sucker punches that catch us off guard. Beautiful poem, Sara. Getting up isn’t easy…but I’d rather get up, bruised and bloody, than stay down and give up. 🙂

@ Talon — Thanks. I agree with you. I like what you said about not giving up. That is so true. BTW I loved the poem, “The Memory Tree.”

We are all a lot stronger than we give ourselves credit for. Often it is not until we are faced with a difficult situation or tragedy that we realize it.

@ Linda — Excellent point. You are right, sometimes it takes life pushing us to realize how strong we really are.

Thanks for the visit.

Life’s challenges – I don’t even know where to start, but I’m in a good place now and am stronger for having weathered the storms.

Lovely poem, Sara!

@ Lynn — Something tells me you tell some stories about life challenges, but I’ll settle comfortably knowing you’re in “a good place now and stronger.”

I believe every life challenge is a learning experience. It’s only when you give up that you miss the lesson.

Hi Sara – love the poem .. what great words .. and life’s challenges – I’m grateful I’ve only had the ones I’ve had, and hope for an ‘easier’ life for a while! Usually I just count my lucky stars … my education, abilities etc etc and get on with things … and I think of the others, who are much worse off than me … puts the perspective on life … and the stories and inspiration that abound from others who have really struggled with major accidents, illness etc ..

Life is wonderful and we need to embrace it .. cheers for now … Hilary

@ Hilary — Yes, I hope the same for you. If anyone deserves some time to just enjoy life its you. Hilary…you are the type of person who will always “get on with things.” I admire this quality very about you. You find sunshine, even in the rain…

Cheers back at you.

7. Jim R says:

Yes, sometimes life swings at you repeatedly – never, never, give up.

Thanks for the mention! Of course, now I have to create some real content, and not just focus on SEO. 😉

@ Jim — Hey, it’s good to see your comment and you don’t need to thank me. Just enjoy the blogging process.

I agree with your comment about life:~)

This was a wonderful poem Sara. I don’t think we can go through life without some challenges. I have lived long enough to know that things never do stay the same. So I try to weather the challenging times as best I can and celebrate those special moments whenever they appear. It’s not always easy but I do try!
    Have a great week.

9. Carrie says:

life is a challenge each and every day and I find that that sleep, love and help from my husband and friends are the vital items I need to get back up, to keep going. Sadly most of the time I am both the gloves and the one being beaten….

@ Carrie — But when you come back, I always see more strength in you. You are a fighter and I have faith in you to get back up. Plus, I need my fix of your photos:~)