Life’s Gift to Me

JC and I got married during Thanksgiving with both of us recovering from some really mean flu bug. Being sick made planning a wedding challenging. Still, things had to be done and neither of us had much energy to get them done.

While feeling lousy waiting at a UPS store one day, I hosted my own pity party. It didn’t seem fair to feel so rotten at a time when I wanted to be happy and excited. To divert myself, I looked around the store.

That’s when I saw it. It was just a poster hanging on the wall. You know the kind. You’ve seen lots of them before. They always have some motivational quote. Usually I don’t read them, but I needed stay awake and forced myself to read the words in that poster.

When I got to the end, I didn’t feel so bad any more. As a matter of fact, I smiled. The words in the poster said exactly what I needed that day. They were better than a hug. Sometimes life just gives you an unexpected gift or kick in the butt, depending on how you want to look at it.

This poster became my holiday gift to myself. It’s going to hang next to my desk. When I’m feeling ornery and mentally cussing out my life, I want to read the words of the poster and be reminded just how precious life’s moments really are. Here’s the poster and I added the words in case you can’t read them in the poster:

Poster-Gift_321

“Life. Find a passion and pursue it. Fall in love. Dream big. Drink wine, eat great food and spend quality time with good friends. Laugh every day. Believe in magic. Tell stories. Reminisce about the good old days but look with optimism to the future. Travel often. Learn more. Be creative. Spend time with people you admire. Seize opportunities when they reveal themselves. Love with all your heart. Never give up. Do what you love. Be true to who you are. Make time to enjoy the simple things in life. Spend time with family. Forgive even when it’s hard. Smile often. Be grateful. Be the change you wish to see in the world. Follow your dreams. Try new things. Work hard. Don’t count the minutes count the laughs. Embrace change. Trust in yourself. Be thankful. Be nice to everyone. Be happy. Live for today. And above all, make every moment count.”

By the way, the poster was designed by Louise Carey. I recommend visiting her site.

26 comments on “Life’s Gift to Me

1. Caity says:

That is beautiful! What lovely words to live by! Congratulations, again! 🙂

@ Caity — Thanks. I love reading this poster. My favorite line in it is this one, “Don’t count the minutes; count the laughs.” Every time I read that line, I sigh and SMILE!

Good reminder, especially at the beginning of the year!

@ Kelvin — Don’t ya know it. We all need reminders in the new year about how to proceed. I like to think this poster is full of my new year “resolutions.” :~)

All wonderful things. Thank you for sharing that, Sara. I am doing just that – living life, being grateful, believing in magic, so many good things (and I like the drinking wine part.) 🙂

@ Lynn — I’m with the “wine” part, but love all the words in this poster and how she laid them out. I hope you checked out her site. Her typography is really interesting. I’ve seen lots of her work, but never knew she was the designer.

As always, I appreciate a visit from you. Are you warming up a bit? We are FINALLY.

Sara, these are wonderful words and thoughts not just to read, but to take to heart as we enter a new year. Best wishes to you both.

Like Lynn, I like that drinking wine part. 🙂

@ Linda — Thanks. As I said to Kelvin, I consider these words my new years “resolutions.”

You made me laugh about the wine. I said the same thing to Lynn:~)

I love it when the very thing we need kindly presents itself that way.

BUT, I refuse to entertain the notion that Sara cusses!

@ Fireblossom — You are so right about appreciating the times when what you need is suddenly there.

Ah, don’t be fooled. Every Southern woman cusses, except in my mama’s time, the words were disguised, like “sugared honey iced tea.” :~)

6. Valerie says:

What a wonderfully positive poster, Sara, and what wonderfully wonderful wedding news! Congratulations to both of you!!

The piece of advice that really caught my eye was “embrace change.” I probably sound like a broken record, but when I think of that of course it is all about my daughter leaving home. It’s a big change for sure, but one I want to embrace for her sake. I tend to get a little selfish at times and consider only my own feelings, but I want to focus on what an exciting time it will be for her!

I’ve known you for awhile now, and I have to say that I am glad, and so thankful too. I gain such valuable insight every time I come here, (as well as read some stellar writing!) and I’m excited to keep up with you and this amazing blog for a long time to come:) xx

@ Valerie — Your comment brought tears to my eyes. It was so nice. I feel the same way about you and your site. Your writing only gets better and better.

Regarding your daughter leaving, it does take some getting used to, but you will. Just be patient and remember the next time was “Trust in Yourself.” I personally think you’ve got a book of short stories coming out soon. Just keep your eyes open, I think more opportunities for your wonderful stories to be published, like Precipice, Volume 2:~)

Hey, count me in when you guys open that bottle of wine. And I like the part about eating good food. And forgiving people (and yourself) is a biggie for me! Happy New Year, Sara.

8. Patty says:

“better than a hug” – can’t get any better than that, Sara! I know it pales by comparison, but I’m sending you a virtual hug. xo

@ Patty — That’s how I feel when I read the poster’s words. But, you know, sometimes visiting your site like I did recently gives me the same exact feeling, like your latest post about take care. I loved it and felt the virtual hug of your words:~)

9. Congratulations, Married Lady!

And thank you so so so much for sharing that poster. It’s bang-on! Today I am not feeling the best, allergies have kicked in big-time, Texas Mountain Cedar pollen abounds, but I feel better reading this post. thanks. Words to live by every day of the year.

xooxoxo

@ Jannie — Thank you about our marriage. Oh, I know allergies — they are mean and miserable things. I hope you feel better:~)

And just think — you and I were “telling stories” and “being creative” in the very moment when we sat and typed our most recent blog posts (unless, of course, you were standing up). It’s easier to live life well than people may sometimes think. 🙂

@ Chris — I’ve haven’t quite gotten used to idea of the ergonomic chairs just yet, but telling stories and being creative that’s the fun in life, isn’t it:~)

BTW congratulations on your album.

Oh, what wonderful words… Yes, each moment is sacred and precious. It’s great to be reminded of that. Thanks for sharing her site too! Happy New Year to you my friend. 😉

@ Gerri — Back at you about the new year. I’ve a feeling your new year will be full of adventures. You’re standing right at the edge, ready to take the plunge beyond your own wise woman into becoming a teacher. I just feel in my bones:~)

These are wonderful words of advice. Each one so important all by itself but when you put them all together – magic.

Hi Sara .. congratulations on your marriage – I’m so pleased for you. Just so grotty if you were feeling miserable in the build up – but your photo looked great.

The poster is amazing isn’t it – we’d find the phrase we’d need in there for any event in life …

Thanks for setting it out for us … have happy happy days ahead and in the years to come … big hugs – Hilary