The Hummers Have Returned

hummerOnBranch_480

hummerAtFeeder_480

The hummers are back. The hummingbirds have returned to visit our sugar-water feeders, as well as our butterfly plants.

I call them “little Napoleon’s” for their aggressive natures. Even though they’re tiny, I’ve seen them chase away much larger birds. They are rather fearless!

Usually, one will settle in and the feeder becomes his or her flower territory. If another hummer arrives: let the aerial battles begin!

Want to know some interesting facts about hummingbirds, check out this site.

Hold on! There’s a bird at the feeder. Gee, this one is really hungry…

whos-at-the-feeder_480

imposter-hummer_480

Wait a minute! That’s not a hummingbird. It’s a finch! Finches don’t eat sugar water!

Your SPC Challenge

So, what does this finch have to say about trying to eat at the hummingbird feeder?

Quickie Questions — Pick One

1. How did the hummingbird get its name? (hint: the first three letters of “hummingbird”)
  2. What state in the United States doesn’t have a hummingbird? (hint: think “the only state that’s an island”)

18 comments on “The Hummers Have Returned

Oh you gave it away, Sara….it must be Rhode Island!

Hi Sara – I was going to say Hawaii – but now I see I’m probably wrong! They are amazing little birds aren’t they … trochilidae – seems a really good Latin name for them ..

“My – my eyes must be bad … I thought this was a feeder, not a liquid boozer”

Poor finch … still great photos .. cheers Hilary

@ Hilary — Did Fireblossom confuse you? You are not wrong! By the way, I also like the Latin name. I didn’t know this.

Your reply to the challenge made me laugh. It is great, Hilary and fits the picture perfectly.

That finch is probably thinking, “Oh no! If I don’t get off of here soon, I am going to be knocked of by one of those crazy little devils. I only wanted to rest for a minute. ” You are so right, Sara, they are like kamikaze pilots when they crash together. You can HEAR them! But ya gotta love em cause they are so dang cute!

@ Jean — The hummers are funny. I like your term “…those crazy little devils.” They’re like the “terriers” of the bird world. The finch was so funny. He followed a hummer and I think he or she assumed it was a regular feeder. He/she was a bit disconcerted when there was no seed in the feeder. Finches are the most curious birds:~)

Thanks for stopping by!

I think the finch is liking the feeling of being bigger that another bird, for a change. 🙂

I love hummingbirds OH so much!! What a wonderful photographer you are to catch so many images of them!

@ Gerri — the feeder is outside my window, which makes it easier to capture them…that said, it helps with they stop long enough for me to snap a picture…which isn’t often. I have a ton of blurry hummingbird pictures when they took as I clicked:~)

It’s always a treat to see hummingbirds…they are so fast. Mom used to feed them and observed that sometimes they can be bullies toward other hummingbirds.

I think this little finch is saying “How does this work? Oh…I didn’t order soup.”

Sorry I’m late…still catching up.

@ Linda — That’s a great comment from the finch…soup:~) Yes, I doubt the finch would pleased.

Hey, I just appreciate you coming by to catch up. That’s very nice!

7. Patricia says:

Hummingbird was my Native American Spirit guide last year….and the Rufous Rufus Hummingbirds stay here all year, especially when they can live in the siding of my neighbor’s house! The name is from the humming noise they make as they come crashing into a rhody while just missing your head!
    Hummingbird holds the spirit of JOY

I do not have a hummingbird feeder – just flowers in my yard, I do have a finch feeder though this year they are just working on the ancient apple tree and a Piliatied Woodpecker has returned to our ancient tree also. Most of the birds are fighting over my blueberry crop.
    Sapsuckers are just devouring my Mason Bees – hmm

Caption ” I have always felt a bit different and mom and dad were so fast and small! Maybe I was adopted?”

Hawaii and Guam do not have hummingbirds. But the little birds do show up in ancient art work – the first settlers brought chickens and birds in cages along with seeds and farming implements???? Hard to catch a hummingbird for transport and immigrations might have had too many rules

Delightful visit today Thank you for sharing

@ Patricia — I loved what your finch said! I didn’t know about Guam! I did know about Hawaii.

I also have lots of natural hummingbird flowers and we are careful to never use the colored hummingbird food. Most of ours lately have come and gone, rather than guarding the feeder.

It’s nice to have a hummingbird be your guide.

Thanks for stopping by and visiting the hummers:~)

No poem to write
    No story to see
    The little bird took
    that glory from me
    Feeding it sweet water
    Seems quite grand
    Until it runs that beak
    right through ones hand

Howdy Friend…it’s been too long. You know I stop by your site every time I visit, hoping to have a new Ellis poem, but I’m actually thrilled to have one in my own comment box…as usual you made me laugh. The humor was a bit pointed, but very appropriate:~)

9. janice says:

Stunning photos! You are so good at capturing nature and so lucky to have such exotic birds in your garden! Coming here always feels like a wee holiday. I’m a garden bird watching addict; it’s one of the constants in my own life and keeps me sane, grounded, mindful and happy.

I think the finch is maybe thinking “Where are the cool, scary guys? I came here to hang with the hummers and have a few drinks with them but there’s no sign of them!”

@ Janice — And again, we have something in common. I start my days and end my days watching birds at our garden feeders. It all started when I got a cat and part of my adoption agreement is that she would be an inside cat. It’s not easy for cats and so, I fixed my screened in porch to allow her outdoor time. Of course, eventually I joined her and began to put up bird feeders so she’d have something to watch without harm:~) Well, I became the beneficiary. Now, both my husband and I enjoy our outdoor time:~)