Thinking Thursday: If (Questions for the Game of Life)

If-Book_600

I got If (Questions for the Game of Life) as a gift quite awhile ago. When cleaning out my bookshelves, I rediscovered it. It’s a a book with lots of interesting questions about life.

For “Thinking Thursday,” I decided to give you a few samples to try out.

I kept my choices to subjects that are not too personal, but let me tell you the book WILL challenge to consider some very personal “IFs.”

The book is fun and there’s a good mixture of the IF questions. You could easily use it at a party or as a personal challenge.

Picking the questions wasn’t easy as there are so many. In addition, I decided if I was going to put you on the “hot seat,” I had to participate as well:~)

Your Thinking Thursday Challenge:

Pick and answer one or more questions from the following list of “IFs.” Be sure to include the number for the question(s) you answer.

Here are the questions and my answers are below in italic (note I’d tried not to think too much about my answers):

1) If you could physically transport yourself to any place in the world at this moment, where would you go?

London, England to visit by eldest daughter who lives there.

2) If you could live the life of any fictional character, which character would it be?

Doctor Who (Oddly of all the questions, this one took me the longest to decide on because there are so many:~)

3) If you could be one article of clothing, what would you be and who would you want to belong to?

A straw hat and I’d belong to Charles Darwin.

4) If you were to preform in the circus, what would you do?

I’d be a trick acrobatic rider as I’ve always loved horses.

5) If you could have personally witnessed one event in history, what would you want to have seen?

The time when Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on the bus.

16 comments on “Thinking Thursday: If (Questions for the Game of Life)

1. Noplace. I am exactly where I most want to be, at home, with a cup of coffee, and Bosco hanging out nearby.

2.Chase Marin, from Kim Pritekel’s lesbian romance novel “Lessons”, because she gets the girl she’s always wanted, and there’s a happy ending and gee gosh sighhhhhhh

3. I’d want to be one of Emmylou Harris’s dresses that she wears when she performs. Best seat in the house!

4. I would be a beautiful tigress, and I would eat my trainer and maybe a bystander or two. *burp* ‘Scuse me!

5.Custer’s Last Stand. I’m assuming that I get to be an invisible observer? No one really knows exactly what happened, and I have always been fascinated with Custer and the 7th. He lived in nearby Monroe, Michigan with his devoted wife Libby, who is mainly responsible for creating his enduring legend.

@ Fireblossom — I love the first response. That’s good. Didn’t you do a book review on “Lessons?” LOL about Emmylou Harris’ performing dresses! The tiger response shouldn’t surprise me. I’ve never asked about your love of tigers as they appear frequently in both poetry and the pictures accompanying your writings.

You crack me up. Well the “IF” book didn’t specify, but I’m assuming you could be an invisible observer, maybe a time traveler. I did some side reading on this before completing this comment. Sounds like there’s a lot of controversy NOW about Custer’s Last Stand due to archeological finds at the site…INTERESTING!

The first thing that popped into mind was “Scotland”. Not because I wanted to go there right now, but this is pretty much the answer that Craig Ferguson gave when Larry King asked basically this question in an interview that I recently watched. As for me… you know, I’m pretty comfortable in bed typing this. So I don’t really wish to be anywhere else. Okay, maybe the same place with a better bed.

I actually can’t think of anything. After all, all memorable characters tend to be protagonists and by definition, they change and most likely do so by overcoming tremendous hardships, fighting hard out of necessity, or overcoming losses. Not sure if I actually want to do that, haha.

4) If you were to preform in the circus, what would you do?

Juggling? Because I can actually juggle. No fancy tricks though.

The moon landing. And I don’t mean witnessing it on TV.

@ Kelvin — Oh, I’ve missed your comments. I loved all your answers, but I’m surprised you didn’t pick Pinocchio for the fictional character…then again he does become real:~)

BTW I loved the video ME + HER “Cardboard.” It was such a cool video and well done! I’m glad you were part of it:~)

Scotland – the Isle of Skye.

Truly stumped on this one. 🙂

OK – stumped on this one, too!

4) If you were to preform in the circus, what would you do?

I so wouldn’t want to perform at the circus, but if I had to pick something – I might want to be the ringmaster. 🙂

The signing of the Declaration of Independence.

I don’t think I’m good at this game! 🙂

@ Lynn — Au contraire mon ami, you did wonderfully:~) You didn’t have to do all five. I was surprised at the people who did all five of them. I found it rather hard myself. It’s funny you and Kelvin picked the same place in the world to go. Then again, Scotland makes a lot of sense for you. I also want to visit there and hope to do so the next time I go over the “pond” to visit by daughter in England. We’ll see.

I didn’t even think of the Declaration of Independence. Yes, I agree that would something to have witnessed:~) It’s fun to see what kind of responses people give to the IF questions.

I would go to the Greek Isles (with a person who knows Greek, of course).

Humm, I expect I would like to be Heidi 🙂 Love the Alps and bread and cheese!

I would be the elephant handler because I love elephants! If that were not available, I would be a clown 🙂

I would be Gertrude Stein’s coat so I could hang out at all of her salons and listen to all the artists and writers and musicians talk. This would require a little bit of time travel. I think I messed up the order, but you will get what I mean 🙂

And the first thing that popped into my mind was when the Berlin Wall came down! What a joyful time that must have been!

Hope I got them all, Sara! That was fun!

@ Jean — You got them all and I enjoyed reading them very much. I loved that you want to be an elephant handler, but if not that…then a clown:~)

Hi Sara .. I’m never keen on these … I struggle to work out what I should answer … now:

#1 Australia .. so I could see it and see friends and see my grandfather’s bridge – Sydney Harbour …
    #2 Fictional character .. not sure: Winnie the Pooh perhaps … he had fun exploring our Sussex countryside
    #3 … got to come back!

Cheers Hilary

@ Hilary — I know they can be a pain, but that’s I usually say answer the ones you want. That said, I can’t believe you haven’t been to Australia. Somehow I thought you would have gone there, but then neither have I. It is a long ways off, but my issue is more how many dangerous critters they have:~)

I almost put Winnie the Pooh for my favorite fictional character.

Come back if you want, but I loved the ones you did answer!

If I could travel from here to there
    In the blink of an eye
    I’ll zap to a mountain top
    That’s warm but very high

If I could be anyone
    You know who I would be
    Space ship caption
    Floating through a stair filled sea

If I could be a necktie
    Around a person’s neck
    That person better be good
    Or it might get stretched

If the circus I was around
    No clown or trick rider for me
    I’d be the guy in the booth
    Selling tickets you see

If I could see just one thing
    In all of history
    I’d stand before the cross that day
    That Jesus set me free

@ desk49 — Oh, I am late for this laugh. So sorry, but I am laughing especially at this one:

“If I could be a necktie
      Around a person’s neck
      That person better be good
      Or it might get stretched”

Well, the last verse is powerful, too. I can’t laugh about that one.

Anyway, you did a wonderful job of answering the TT questions:~)

I can’t believe you answer every one of these questions in a poem. You are really GOOD.

This was a fun exercise, and it also makes you think.

1- Italy

2- A super hero

3- A size 6 sparkling evening gown, with dancing shoes, of course.

5- The Gettysburg address

@ Linda — Now your replies make me curious. I can’t help but wonder why Italy? Oh, what color would the evening gown be and would it match the shoes. Which superhero would you choose?

The Gettysburg Address. OMG, that would have been something to hear. Such a difficult time in the history of the United States.

8. Jim R says:

1. Mars, but probably just for a moment or two…
    2. Johnny Quest
    3. Benjamin Franklin’s glasses – to see all that he did.
    4, Motorcycle trick rider – might be fun!
    5. The disappearance of the Mayans – from a discreet distance.

@ Jim R — that’s a good idea to stay on Mars for only a “moment or two,” but think of what your eyes would see.

Like Linda’s answer, now the curious want to know why Johnny Quest?

I like men who are smart, but funny too. Ben Franklin definitely had those qualities hands down.

I wonder how your wife would feel about that one…then again, I can imagine you guys tooling along on a Harley. I rode a motorcycle one time and swore I’d never do again as a passenger:~)

Wow. The disappearance of the Mayans. I find it kind of scary because I can help but wonder how much we’ve actually learned from their demise. BTW I visited Chichen Itza in Mexico and it was so cool. We sneaked in something you evidently do in the late seventies and made a tour of the beautiful ruins ourselves. No one stopped us. It was so much fun and amazing!