Be quiet. She’s thinking.

Speak-Her-MInd_600

This Red Shouldered Hawk landed in a tree in my garden on a chilly January day.

She seemed very preoccupied as she let me take several close-up shots of her, which I appreciated:~)

However, I couldn’t help but wonder what she was thinking about.

Story Photo Challenge One

Imagine she turns and sees me — What does she say?

Story Photo Challenge Two

What is this hawk thinking? Write a brief inner dialogue.

Here’s my shot at the inner dialogue:

Sigh.
I’m hungry.
Where’s that stupid mouse?

I saw it running through the grass from up high.
How could I have missed it? Am I really getting old?
I know my feathers get ruffled more easily and my chin has doubled,
But dadgumit, I’m still the best hunter!
Edward says I’m the most beautiful hawk in the neighborhood!
Then again, Birdie said he’s been flying with Gussy the Hussy.

Sigh.
I’m hungry
Where’s that stupid mouse?

That crazy human musta scared it when she walked out.
Oh. My. Gosh! She’s got a camera!
Well lah–dee–dah, she’s going to take my picture!
I’ll have to give her my profile shot.
Edward says I’ve got the best “beak” profile in the neighborhood.
Then again, Birdie said he was happily preening Gussy yesterday.

Sigh.
I’m still hungry.
Where’s that stupid mouse?

22 comments on “Be quiet. She’s thinking.

I hope hawks don’t have inner monologues where they self-flagellate and compare themselves to others as often as humans do — ideally, that’s just one of the curses of coming with a cerebral cortex. If ants are not only spending their lives carrying stuff to their queen but thinking “why doesn’t she see the blade of grass I just brought her that was like ten times my size?” I would feel so much pity for them.

@ Chris — I laughed at the idea of an ant grumbling about his queen not noticing how heavy the blade of grass was:~) I don’t think hawks or ants do a lot of self-flagellating, but its fun to imagine what they would say if they did.

I’m drawing a blank. And I am projecting this onto the bird.

@ Kelvin — That’s okay. Maybe you just tuned in the hawk when she was had one of “those” moments. She just couldn’t remember what she wanted to say.

“To preen or not to preen…that is the question. Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer the wings and sparrows of outrageous fortune, or to take up arms against a field of stubble…”

I think she would look at you and say, “Why hello there – where’s my snack?”

@ Lynn — That’s a possibility and she have been secretly assessing whether or not I would make a good snack. She let me very close to her!

“I think she would say, “It is wonderful to meet you but you are interrupting my meditation. Just one picture, please.”

I love what has been written so far. Here is what I think she is thinking.
    “I just hate being what people call a predator. I don’t WANT to have to catch every darn thing I eat! If I wanted to exercise, I would join a gym! And what I wouldn’t give to be able to just walk into a grocery store and order up a dozen frozen mice, maybe a braised sparrow or two and top it all off with a couple of candied voles. But NO! I have to go out and FIND something first. Then I get to eat, after I have totally worn myself out! Don’t you think I would rather be watching TV than a rabbit hole? Well, DUH! Of course I would!
    And then there is the moral thing of killing and eating and all of that! People really HATE when I clean out the song birds in their yards. Well, talk to God about that! Don’t you think I would have rather been born a vegetarian? Oh, well, No more of this! I need to get busy and grab a snack. Close your eyes if you don’t want to watch!

@ Jean — You never disappoint. This inner dialogue cracked me up. I loved the idea of walking into a grocery store and your description of what she’d buys. The ending about “Close your eyes if you don’t want to watch.” This is so true!

Hi Sara … “Silly Sara – I can see you now – I don’t need to turn my head … I have peripheral vision … I know exactly what you’re up to … but I wish you’d wait til I was dressed – my feathers need adjusting that whippy wind catches them and I need to brush them into place – before grabbing your camera and posting my image onto that intangible thing … I didn’t give you permission – you’ll be off my winter visiting list in 2015!”

So there Mrs S – take note … ask permission first!!

Cheers Sara – she’s a great looking Hawk – fabulous colouring … and I love her name “Red Shouldered Hawk” – so descriptive .. Hilary

@ Hilary — LOL I loved this one, especially the “peripheral vision” and the feathers “need adjusting…that whippy wind catches them…” But my favorite is “you’ll be off my winter visiting list in 2015!” I can’t say I blame her.

We have both the Red Shouldered Hawk and the Red-Tailed Hawk (he’s a lot bigger than the hawk in the picture). The Red-Shouldered hawks had a baby this spring/summer and he was so funny when they finally told him he was on his own. He once landed on my birdbath and sat there studying it, like it was some strange lake. Needless to say, the regulars saw the “shark” coming and flew away to hide:~)

Oh, Sara. Bosco’s gone. How am I gonna live without him? 🙁

@ Shay — Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. Bosco was such a great friend and I know you miss him. I send you lots of hugs, my friend.

How did I miss this? I’ll be back…

@ Linda — Probably because you aren’t used to me putting two posts up in one week. I haven’t done this in ages.

I’ll look forward to your comment about what this hawk might be thinking:~)

Mmm, an appetizer of deep fried mouse bites and some fresh grilled filet-of-baby-squirrel would just hit the spot. Darn, it looks crowded here…I knew I should have made a reservation. I guess I’ll be dining à la carte in the barnyard again. I’m so tired of tartare ju jour.

@ Linda — LOL I like it when you play the game. This one really made me laugh, especially the dining “à la carte in the barnyard again. I’m so tired of tartare ju jour.” That’s great and so much fun.

She turns and says, “Shhh, I’m meditating.” That’s at least what I’d say. Ha!! 🙂