This is a picture of some nets on a Shrimper. It was taken at Apalachicola, Florida. Shrimp fishing is very common in this area of Florida. If you are walking the docks, you will see lots of boats with this particular net.
There’s something special about this net and what’s inside it. This is your challenge today. Figure out what this net is used for. Be sure you notice the silver grill thing inside the net. I will give a few hints. These hints are thanks to Wikipedia.
1) This device was required by United States law in 1987 on all trawling shrimp boats.
2) Countries that cannot guarantee the use of these devices are banned from exporting shrimp to the USA.
3) The device has the nickname of TED.
4) It saves many lives, but some shrimpers refuse to use it.
5) Remember, take your time with this; the fastest one doesn’t always win:~)
Put your answers in the comment box. Next Monday, I will tell you what this net device is used for. This should give you plenty of time to Google the answer:~)
You get bonus credit, if you can explain how this device works in 55-words or less.